Which vehicle?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Jan 8, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Van, Box truck, or pick up

I am trying to deiced which to buy for our fertilization business. We have ben using pick up trucks. Reason I am considering the chage is nothing is enclosed. But now I would like others options. Pick-up we can also plow with, what do you guys say and why?
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Pick-up truck for the reason you mentioned. It is versatile and holds its resale value. Get enclosed trailers.
  3. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Have been using pick up trucks for years but last year bought box trucks, will admit we havent used them alot for production yet as we haven't gotten them totally equipped the way we want. However, i can say the overall efficiency of a box truck in the long run should make them more productive both in carrying the materials we need and the time savings of loading and unloading everyday. Those factors alone could justify dedicating a pick up itself to doing snow plowing or lighter duties. Guess you have to know exactly whether this works in your budget, which you only know. I know the box trucks will not make my pick ups obsolete, but it wil take a major workload away from their use. Van have never really been an option to me, but just my preference.
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Try an F-350 size pick up with a flat bed rack body. You can build you own sides and enclose it, or buy one pre made. Just take the sides off, and put them on as you want. Good for a leaf box, then for the sander. Worked for me.
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

All i can tell you from my experience in 3 decades working in the green industry, running everything from a 1969 el camino to a chevy c30 with a 14' aluminum bread box body is this. ISUZU DIESEL CABOVER, KNAPEHEIDE LANDSCAPER BODY, SNOWAY PLOW & XM SATELLITE RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

It all depends if you need to use the vehicle for different tasks and is it going to also be a personal vehicle. If vehicle is only going to be used as a lawn treatment vehicle I would suggest a box van with a side door. Usually these vans are 1 ton or greater. Can hold more material than a pickup or van. Keeps everything dry, better organized, can hang things on the wall, able to install more than 1 spray unit, can carry a rack on the back for a PG or other equipment. If set up right with a side door can load pallet of product at one time, if you have a fork lift. Keeps odors and equip seperate from drivers, but not in a van. If the truck is multiuser then I would be inclined to look at something else. We currently have 5 box trucks with another on order and they work great. Almost forgot....when you put your logo or company name on the side it is a traveling billboard.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen lawn kings rig. Its a beuty. Defently a great set up for a landscape/spray guy.
  8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I am running a 14 foot Fuso box truck. Great truck. Holds a pallet of fert, 50 gallons of water, PG or Z-spray (inside), 2 push spreaders, shelves for chemicals, and hooks for 4 backpack sprayers. I can handle any service call needed on the spot. The best is at night, I park it, lock it and don't worry about anything getting wet or stolen.

I tried a pickup and felt it was too small without a trailer. I tried a van and could not take the smell all day long.

The only thing I would do different is get a 16 foot truck. It gets just a hair tight with the 14 footer. But all I do is fert and squirt. So for somebody who does service, you may have other needs.
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have a pick up & we use it for in city work, sales, small chemical & plant runs etc. I think you need a pick up for this business, however, we can load 5000 lbs of dry chemical, a 100 gal. skid sprayer, hand spreaders, backpack sprayers & blowers in the landscape body, with room to spare! Then we can pull the trailer in tow with the kubota & two lesco hps machines, when we land we have the option of working off the back of the body,out of the side door or both! The next day this same truck may hall & dump materials all day! There is no pick up or van that is this versatile. Before you go spending the big bucks on a new pick up or 1 ton, check out the cabovers, they rock!
  10. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Turf hokie
    How do you get your PG inside the truck?