Which W/b to get?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by S man, Dec 27, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I know I keep beating this topic to death but I really am getting one this time. I need some facts on w/bs. I want a belt drive unit with a 36" deck primarily. The brands I am looking for are scag, exmark, and toro. I demoed that 32" floating deck toro and kind of liked it. It is small for gates and looks built. But I might try out a scag or exmark fixed deck. Does a two blade deck on the 36" do good with high grass and weeds compared to the 40 or 48" decks. Is the 36" advantage scag deck good? I see toro has the turbo force deck now. Is that a good deck? I have never tried pistol grips yet and will soon. And is kohler or kawasaki better, advantages, disadvan...
    Advice on this is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Toro 44" Hydro, and I like it. It doesn't have the turbo force on it, but it still cuts good. I don't have any experience with 32" or 36" Toros.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The new Toro 36" Turbo force fixed deck is an awesome mower. The T bar is way ahead of the other systems for belt drives and the mower is built like a tank. I would opt for the 15hp Kawi, it is smoother, quieter and starts easier than the Kohler.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Everyone seems to agree that the Turbo Force deck is worlds ahead of the SFS deck on the Toro walk behinds.

If I remember correctly, you could only get the t-bar with the SFS deck, but they're changing some things for '07 so that you can get the Turbo Force deck with the T-bar, which I think would be a great combo.

If I'm wrong about any of the above, the Toro guys can have their way with me...

Also take a good look at Exmark's Turf Tracer HP. The Trivantage deck works well. The ECS controls are great, though you'll get some argument from the diehard t-bar guys. Never having used a T-bar I can't compare the two but the ECS hasn't left my hands sore.

I wouldn't get the scag simply because it has pistol grips, and personally I do not like them.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

ECS is a great system for Hydro units, way better than pistol grips, but for belt drive I prefer the T-bar. Toro put the Turbo force 36" fixed deck on a t-bar in 2006.

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

yes. I do like the t bar w/ the belt drive mower. I have to see if my dealer can get me the turbo force model.

7. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

i know its not on your list but you might be happy with the quick 36 by better outdoor products. its a single hydro and not very expensive

8. Mean Green Lawns

Mean Green Lawns Banned

Testing testing

9. Mean Green Lawns

Mean Green Lawns Banned

Testing again

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Kawi is way better than kohler. They start easier, last longer, run smoother and are quieter. Do you want a floating deck or fixed? All toro wb's will have the turbo force deck now. Scags are very tough and last a while but the cut leaves much to be desired. Toros have a better cut and are cheaper.