which walk behind do i get, 48"exmark or 44" toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jan 27, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

both floating deck and hydros is what i was thinking?

i currently only own a 54" kubota it seems to be too heavy for some of my town homes/new sod jobs. I'm looking to get a smaller, lighter machine.

i like the idea of the 48" deck cause is it 6" smaller than what i currently have. i think this would be much lighter.

The toro only comes in the 44" deck, it almost sounds too small. i'm afraid if i get the 44" i will get discouraged cause of the excess time it will be taking me to do a job.

i do like the idea of getting a toro product cause there is a toro dealer about 3 blocks away from my house. the exmark dealer is about 20 miles away. i wonder if the toro guy would be able to do most of the service work on my machine?

I NEED HELP TRYING TO DECIDE. what to do? what to do?
    i want to educate my self on this before i buy one cause the little things are pretty expensive.

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

48" eXmark hydro WB would be the choice, but if I were you I would only buy a 52" deck hydro with ECS cause that is it, nothing better than that. a 48" seem to small for the money.

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Seven years ago I started with a Toro 44 hydro (used), had it for two years and traded for a new Toro 52 hydro, next year got a Toro Z153 the following year I sold the 52" walk because of lack of use.. If I had it to do over I would stick with the 44". Reason being it is more maneuverable and will get into more places than the 52" ALSO the wheel width on the 44 and 52 are the same and I did not like all the extra deck sticking out from the wheels on each side (the 44" had plenty of 'trim side', the 52" in my estimation was just excessive. The 44 on small tightly landscaped lawns will be much easier to maneuver than the 52 and if you have larger lawns get a sulky and give your legs a rest.

BobR

4. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I believe it depends on your customers lawns what size you should get. Large lawns get 52". Smaller lawns maybe a 48" or 44" is OK. I would go with the exmark because I have one and works fine. but, i'm sure other brands are good too. Get the floating beck, hydro and sulky. you will not be sorry.

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would get the exmark. i have a 52" tthp that is 4 yrs old and i havent had to replace anyting on it besides changing the oil and filters. great quality machine.