Which Walk Behind For Homeowner

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bayrat, May 8, 2004.

1. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am looking for a walk behind for my home. I have three acres I mow and trim around plenty of trees and a couple of slopes.

I bought a 48 Gravely from BROOKS GRAVELY in Rochester, NY and loved everything about the machine except the speed in low gear. Too fast for trimming around trees, had to slip the clutches. I paid 3k for it, used it three hours and the dealer offered to give me every penny back. I was sick over it but so impressed with the dealer don't want to go anywhere else now. He offers Great Dane and is getting a demo model 48 Super Surfer for me to try. It retails for around $6800 which I think is way too much for the thing. He says the factory rep wants to cut a deal to get rid of it, we shall see.

I may opt for the hydro Gravely or look at the hydro Dane but I imagine the cost will be near that of the Wright Stander at another local dealer which is getting rid of new $5800 machines for $4400.

I don't like the small tires on the other machines out there. Seems they don't allow much ground clearance for knolls, dips or humps around trees. That is one reason I liked the Gravely, large tires and easily adjustable deck height.

I looked at the J/D and like the 36 with manufactured deck but the larger models all have a stamped deck and the prices are ridiculous. They have the only Dana transmission out there and according to specs it has the slowest low gear speed on the market. I may end up with one of those, a local dealer has a 36 for $2250 but I really want at least a 48.

I fail to understand why when you have five speeds that first gear is not a granny gear and the other four used to take you up to 6 mph as most do. I could not get past 2ond in the Gravely without jogging behind the thing. It actually spun out in the gravel driveway and took off like a raped ape, great for a sulkie I suppose.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try the 2004 Turf Tracer 60" Ultracut deck Walk behind. You will be very impressed.
    John

970-300.jpg

3. John Gamba

from ct

I think in turf mag there will be a report on it.
    John

978-400.jpg

4. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

What is a good average price for one? I will have to check on availability around this area.

Thanks

5. John Gamba

from ct

They are in the 6,000 dollar range. You are getting alot of mower for that price. In your area the cut will be nothing less then spectacular.
    You can put the stiping roller on it and a sulky, For the acreage you are talking it would be wise to get a 60" mower.

John

6. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

John,

I should have explained myself better. I primarily will use it as a trimming mower as well as to mow areas that are too sensitive for my Kubota tractor to reach into. I need the loader and rear attachments so really have to stay with the tractor for the bulk of mowing. On the best day I would hand mow less than an acre plus trim. My mom is not well, so there is a possibility I will need something that will fit into my pickup to haul to her house and cut about an acre there as well.

Thanks

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Get the Wight Stander for $4400. You will be much happier. I love mine. I loved it so much i bought another one. You can take them in to tight areas and do wide open areas with no problems. The one machine i hate more than anything are gravely. I not trying to bust on anyones equipement. But I really don't like how they are built, drive, controls, etc. The JD walkbehinds are not the best, we have one at our fire house. (funny part is 4 members own mowing businesses, but somehow we bought a $4500 JD 54" hydro and all it does is collect dust) I don't like the JD's on hills. (Fire house is on a hill)

By the way what kubota do you have?

8. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

Green,

I have the 2910 with loader, sprayer, belly mower, rear blade, rear auger and an old Allis with bush hog for the rest of the property.

Thanks for the information. Have you ever heard of the Hydrocut I believe it is called. I looked at one on my way home Friday. It has a singe hydro but it looks as though it may not be steerable with the brakes, or is it? $2200 at a Ferris dealer.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

That hydrocut from ferris is a nice little number. I used to have a ferris 48" hydrowalk SD. I saw one at my dealer. That might fit your needs. But if you want bigger i would still go with the stander. By the way what size deck and engine did it have?

By the way you can't beat a kubota. This is a lot coming from a kid who grow up around deeres. I wish i have a 2910 instead of my B7500. But the price was way pass right for the B7500. I paid $9000 with a LA302 loader and a rck-60 deck with 140 hours. My dealer offered me $12,000 as a trade in the next day. I already have been offered up to $13,500 for it. The guy parked it next to his corvette, so there wasn't even a scratch in the paint, including the bucket. He used it to haul mulch and cut the grass.

10. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

The stander is a fixed 36. The demo Dane is a 48 floater with electric. I am going to wait on the price on that one first. If I don't hear by the end of the week, I will start shopping around again. I wish I could be somewhat certain of my mom's future needs, that would really help here. She is getting on and can not keep her home much longer, but in the meantime the neighbor is charging her $50 a pop for mowing and $25 for plowing a small blacktop driveway. PLowing is not an issue now, but I sold her mower last year because the neighbor insisted he wanted to mow her lawn because he likes to cut grass. I offered to do it myself or let him use her rider but he insisted on using his equipment. Now he is taking advantage. I really don't have the time to spare but I will make it just to get rid of him.