Which Walk Behind for Small Resedential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jklawns, Dec 2, 2007.

1. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

Which Walk Behinds do you guys use for smaller(under 1/4 acre) resedential yards. Do you mulch, bag, or discharge? Which one leaves the best result? (cut,stripe,tracks)
    Thanks for the input:)

2. cutemhigh

cutemhigh LawnSite Member
    from 44060

i would look to use a 36 bunton hydro. I really like the buntons. i would use the catcher.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest an Exmark, possibly a 48". I do a lot of smaller residentials and I have a 52" Toro Z Master and a 32" Exmark. I love both of them. If you're looking for 1 walk-behind a 48" is probably your best bet.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Forgot to mention the hydro is definitely worth it.

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Wright Velke walk-behind has been the most reliable small (36) mower we have used over the past 26 years. I would definitely buy another one.

6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

48 inch on a small residential less than a 1/4 acre? Must be nice not to have any gates. I see that that JKLAWNS is from Tulsa also.
    All my properties are gated with lots of obstacles, I use 21inch Toro Proline mulchers. I am thinking about trying the Quick 32 next year just for a little extra power, especially during heavy growth in the Spring. If you have the same gated small lawns as I do, anything larger than a 32 would be a waste and would not get through most gates.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

With a $30 minimum I don't have a problem with too many small lots, I use the Toro 48" for most everything up to an acre, don't own nothing smaller, don't want to either lol.

8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have one but from what I've read here the quick 36 or 44 would be ideal for these size yards if you are just starting out. Wish I had about 50 1/4 acre lots!! I wouldn't even own a ZTR.

9. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I am with Corey ..Look into the QUICK series mowers from Better Outdoor Products...go check out the pics on the site under family photos to see the cut and striping ability .

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use 36" scags, snappers, and Wright Sentar. All work well in mulch mode with outlet closed in grasses probably like yours. Depends on how much money you have to spend but the Sentar and a Scag Hydro are the best. I wouldn't suggest Snapper belt drive but hydro is fine in snapper. The scag belt is also fine