Which Walk-Behind to Choose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BanvilleLawnCare, Sep 15, 2007.

1. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Right now I have a 1994 Toro T-Bar Walk-behind. I am having troubles with it and for the tight lawns I do I would really like a 36'' hydro. I don't know what would be a better choice, a new Quick 36 Samurai, or a used low-hours dual hydro (Exmark, Toro, Scag). Any help is appreciated.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Quick 36 ... best machine for the money !!

3. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

The Quick 36 is probably better in tight areas but will take a little more energy/muscle when turning.The one I have has been good so far.I wonder with the compact deck design on the Quick, if mowing when wet would be better with another brand mower.But the Quick 36 is a well built mower.

4. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was really impressed with the Quick based on their website and a couple of other posts i've seen, but I was a little worried about turning the single hydro. I am 15, not a weakling but only about 140 pounds.

5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 36inch toro hydro and love it. I don't have problems getting into gates etc etc. Amazing power and handling, but of course its gonna cost a wee bit extra

6. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

If you dont mind what does the toro 36 hydro cost.

7. jbannick18

Mine new cost 4900 but I'm sure you could find one for 4600. I like the dealer I bought it from though. I have any trouble they fix it on the spot and if not I get a loaner machine. I won't buy a used machine again, I've learned its not worth it, never know what it has gone through

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with a dual hydro instead of a single.

9. jbannick18

agreed, something about one hydro just doesn't appeal to me

10. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man cant say enough go with the hydro even if a quick 36 Just stay away form gear drive
    I learned this the hard way