which walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packey, May 12, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I am buying a new wb tomorrow and was wanting some opinions on these three mowers. all three are hydro mowers all are 48 inch with floating decks
    the mowers are a john deere walk behind with a 17 hp kawi, a snapper with a vangaaurd b & S and a gravely with a 17 hp kawi. I know the smaller 21 inch snappers are good mowers. and the snapper dealer is also the same dealer I use for my stihl equipment He very nice and more than willing to work with us. the John Deere also has decent dealer support as well as the gravely. I am not looking at the others because of the fact that I will ahve to drive over 3 hours to the dealer. so any suggestions or observations will be great.
    I will be cutting both residential and commercial with this mower I have 69 accounts with the largest being a K Mart that has 3 acres. The reason I am looking at the wb is that I have 8 lawns with insane slopes like 35-45 degree and one of them has a 7 foot retaining wall at the bottom of a 40 degree slope. I have been planning on a new wb to help with these lawns but saturday my ztr burned up the ignition module at 1300 pluss hours on a estate mower with integrated pumps. I just believe it is time to retire it and I need a mower that will cover both the wb and ztr mowing.

2. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

I might be too late, but we have a JD 7H17 w/ floating deck, 48" deck and we love it. It's a walk behind. May even buy another one soon.

3. packey

have you had any difficulties with the john deere I think that is the same one I am looking at right now. It is the only one I can pick up tomorrow every thing else will be friday before they can get it here. You got to love this part of the world you can get almost anything if you are willing to wait on it to be delivered.

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

all of them are great mowers and have good motors on them whats your favorite color on these three mowers?

5. mowinginva

We bought ours used and had to do a few things to it after we got it, but nothing major. It has been a great mower - tough. We did have some leakage with the hydros recently, but we replaced a seal and it's doing fine. It is a 2004. We know a few other people in our area who use the same mower. I would highly recommend it.

6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the eXmark walk behinds. They offer a bunch of belt drives and hydros.

7. landscape

landscape LawnSite Member

buy an exmark or scg or snapper or even toro. these are really good machines!

8. packey

I posted the ones we could get support with. Well i decided I bought the jd 7h17 john deere hydro. I have mulch kit coming.

9. mowinginva

Hope it does as well for you as it has for us. When you use the mulch kit, could you let me know how well it does?

10. packey

I got the mulch kit on today and it has a front edge you bolt on the front of the deck to help I guess with suction . What it helps with s striping. It stipes awesome with the new mulch kit. I do whish the mulch plate over the chute would fully cover the chute instead of having holes in it but it still works well.