which walk-behind

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by walk behind, Mar 21, 2004.

1. walk behind

walk behind LawnSite Member

I have 2.6 acres of sloping ground to mow and I am deciding on a commercial walk-behind mower. In the past we have mowed it with a JD LT166 (with chains) and a 21" JD self-propelled walk behind.

What do you think would be the best walk-behind for my yard?

Which would be better in terms of reliability and ease of use?

100_0963.jpg

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Walk behind,

I'm a big fan of hydros when dealing with hills. A gear drive or belt drive will climb the hills find but they tend to free wheel down hill which requires the operator to apply the brakes. A hydro does not have this issue and will hold a side hill much better.

For me I'd look at a 48" or larger Viking or Turf Tracer HP. Either machine should give your grand kids a solid machine to use when they own thier own home. The full size Turf Tracer on the other hand should last several generatrions if used on 2.6 acres.

We do however that we limit the recommended angle of slope operation to 19 degrees.

Thanks,

Terry

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

With just that yard? waste no time, you will see how easy these machine handling that sloping backyard.
    a 52" Viking/bullrider/junglewheels
    a 52" TTHP/bullrider/jungle wheels
    a 52" TT/bullrider/jungle wheels

You 've got to ride sulky, don't walk 2.6 acres with 6-700 lbs machine!
    limiting your WB potential...and exhausting your energy

4. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

With 2.6 acres Id get a ZTR thats alot of walking I know this from my lawn its 2.4 acres I first started cutting it with a 36 WB and then a 48 WB and now I am on a 60 Lazer Z talk about a time saver it took twice as long with the 48 WB and the Z doesnt ware you out.... Good Luck

5. walk behind

walk behind LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies. The reason for a walk behind is because I thought the handles felt really good on the hands. The dealer is bringing one out for me to try on the hills and slopes in my yard to see if we (I) can handle it.

One of the reasons for the walk behind is we have a 48" rider, but since my husband had back surgery last year, he bounces around too much (this is a bumpy country yard). Also, I really like walking (good exercise) and I needed something that was easier on my hands (carpal tunnel) than the 21" John Deere I was using.

So I hope the test of the lawn mower tomorrow will work out.....I can ride our current 48" lawn tractor, however, I really enjoy walking. I have a feeling, that my husband will take over the Turf Tracer though and I won't get to use it. I have cut the entire 2.6 acres in the past with the 21" walk behind, but it does take about 6-7 hours, so walking does not bother me.

6. eXmark

Walk behind,

If you've neve run a hydro walk behind just remember to relax. These machines are very powerful and can be quite intimidating if your not used to them. If you relax you'll find the controls very responsive and easy to operate. If you tense up you'll end up fighting the machine and to be honest.................it's a lot tougher than we are.

Thanks

Terry

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You cut that yard with 21er??? Holly molly...6-7 hrs...
    wait till you got a hang on one of a 52" hydro/sulky, I bet you never want to come off it.
    regards,

8. alldredge_2008

alldredge_2008 LawnSite Member

eXmark,
    I was wondering how much does a Exmark Turf Tracer cost? I think it is time to invest in a hydro. I have a Scag, but dint think it will hold up to a Turf Tracer. Can put a striping kit on this mower? Iwould like the 23 Ka engine. What sulky would you recomend? I have Jungle Jime now.

Thanks,

Taylor

9. alldredge_2008

alldredge_2008 LawnSite Member

eXmark,
    I was wondering what would a exmark turf tracer 52" 23ka cost?
    I would like to replace the scag that I have. Can I put a striping kit on it? Should I wait till 2005 for any special features?
    Thanks,

Taylor

10. eXmark

Taylor,

I'm not aware of any plans for change on the full size TT for next year. The TT23KAC with a 52" deck has a MSRP of $6399. There is a roller available for $269. The part number for the roller is STRFMD.

Thanks,

Terry