Which Walker is the best deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Mar 9, 2008.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

1. 2003 26 efi 200hours on new motor. 2200 hours on the machine $5,000

2. 2005 20hp 818 hrs on machine $7800

Both have the 9.5 bushel hopper. How many hours can you get out of the wheel motors and gear boxes? That's the only thing that I'm worried about on the 26hp. Also if I eventually wanted to upgrade the 20hp motor can you fit a bigger one on that frame?

Thanks for your help and advice.

2. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Get the red one called and Exmark Navigator- best walker deal out there. They have great financing on new ones- and a 2 year warranty. Just thought I'd throw a kink in things. Good luck-

3. bart may

from montana

I've considered that options but want to be able to add side discharge decks if I need them. Do you have a Navigator?

4. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I will in a week or 2. They mulch well, if you mulch much. You can close the chute to the bag from your seat to mulch. I've also heard of guys just opening the bag door and letting it blow out the back when they don't want to bag (that's with the walkers too). I've always bought used equipment (cheaper) and thought I'd try a new one with a warranty and all this year. I'll post when I get one and let you know how I like it. You probably still have snow in Montana (as do I, but it's been melting fast).

5. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

PS- I'd probably go for the '03- fewer engine hours, more power and a lot less cost.

6. bart may

from montana

Anybody tell me how long I can expect out of the gear boxes?

7. moores

moores LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a 2004 mtghs with the 26hp efi with 2768 hrs on the original engine and have never had to replace anything major only minor things like belts and pulleys.. and my gear boxes and hydros are also fine... I keep all my machines in excellent condition and change the oil every 40-50 hrs and also grease it every 10 hours.. I would go with the 26 efi if I was you.

8. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I would keep looking or add $2k and get new, $7800 for a machine that has over 800 hours is not a deal.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I was thnking !!

10. bart may

from montana

If I went with the 20hp could you eventually upgrade to a larger engine? Would a 25 or something like that fit in there?