Which Walker S/D deck to get?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron Marshall, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I would like to get a s/d deck for my walker, I've heard some work better than others. I think I'd get either the 52" mulcher/sd or the 56" side discharge. I've got the model T with 20hp motor. The soil is really sandy in my area so I think it would be a good thing to leave clippings some times. Thanks
    Aaron

2. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Get the 52. I used to use one and loved it. My buddy has the 56 and says the cut is only average.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I love my 52" with double-blade setup. It's a beast of a deck.....very tough. I discharge and do not mulch. It's not a real good mulcher in the spring, but it might be better in the summer. I have never tried in the summer.

4. Aaron Marshall

Thanks for replying guys, do you think my 20 hp would handle a 62" deck ok? And how do the 62" decks cut? Thanks

5. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

The cut on the 62 is fine but I would suggest a used Z with a 60 deck. I've moved away from Walker because they are so slow. I still have the 52 do you want to buy it?

6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

a litle off topic: do any of you have or know if JRCO makes a leaf plow for walkers. I have a 48" GHS and will prob be looking for a leaf plow next year.

7. Aaron Marshall

Yes, JRCO makes a leaf plow for the walker. Here is a link to my local dealer that sells them. I would shop around for prices though I think my dealer is a little high. http://www.jsesc.com/

Shearbolt- You want to sell just the deck? I might be interested. I would like to get a 60" Z for around here, but l am solo and I don't see the need to have two mowers when I can't have them both out mowing, and I wouldn't trade my walker for the world for spring and fall clean-ups or any time I need to collect. I think the key to a good business is diversifying the equipment. I would like 1 walk behind, my walker, and a big Z and everything would be great. But get back to me on the 52" I might be interested.
    Aaron

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Aaron,
    get the 52 with the doubles and mulch kit. You have much the same conditions that I do and that deck is a monster. I use it from the start of the mowing season side discharging, all the way thru mulching leaves in the fall with the doubles and mulch kit. I only use the GHS deck for spring clean/dethatching pickups only and then it goes away. The 52 will tax the 20 a little in deep stuff but it should work fine most of the time. I have a 26EFI that is a beast and would never ever but a smaller motor or a carburated one for that matter. Thats my 2 cents, not adjusted for inflation. Take care.

9. Aaron Marshall

Thanks Mow Ed sounds like it would be a good investment for me! :blob3:

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I love my 62" Walker deck.

Gene