Which Way Do You Run Your Trimmer? Left Hand or Right Hand Down?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Jun 3, 2007.

?

Right or left hand down?

1. Right

22 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Left

60 vote(s)
    73.2%
  1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Are you a righty or lefty?

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

ive learned to trim right and left handed, a good trimmer operator will do this. when im doing a large area, like a hill, i trim right handed, right hand on throttle.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Right hand on throttle

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

When it counts, right on the throttle.

On the quick and dirty, I swap things around to keep the muscles balanced:weightlifter:

Edging is R or L. Just depends on the situation.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use mine with my left hand on the throttle. I am right handed but for whatever reason I learned to use it left handed. I've found that I'm better off this way due to the counter-clockwise direction that trimmer heads turn. It's easier to keep clippings out of beds and off of houses if you move from right to left and lefthanded trimming makes it a lot easier.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like I'm in the majority for a change.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I keep working on trying to trim left handed... left on the throttle...
    But it's not easy to re-learn.

I wish they'd just make another commercial straight shaft trimmer with clockwise rotation.
    Been saying that for years.

8. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Richard Martin on this one - left hand on throttle trim from right to left - it feels awkward with my left hand down and right hand on the throttle - i think i control the trimmer with my down hand (in my case the right) - THAT BEING SAID - the other day i saw a guy trimming a ditch bank with his left hand under the trimmer and on the trigger as opposed to wrapping his left arm around the engine - if you can picture that - i tried it - it worked pretty well - you can get a better angle of attack and longer reach like that - it was actually very well balanced as a mater of fact - Any body do that? - Am i the last to know?

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm left handed. I trim with my left hand down and my right hand on the throttle. I shoot guns and my bow righty, but I throw and bat lefty.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use my trimmer both ways. For the most precise times, I have right hand on the throttle, left on the handle. However, most trimming around beds requires moving forward, while the trimmer head is turning CCW, pulling the clippings off from the bed, into the lawn area (I trim before mowing). Therefore, all the bed work is done with throttle in left hand.

It is much easier to switch right-to-left, left-to-right, than to move my body, or change direction of travel.