Which way is faster.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, Feb 2, 2006.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I am a part timer with about 20 yards. All of them are small with gated back yards except for 4 or 5 and those are only 1/4 acre at most. I had a 37" Hustler but sold it because I only could use it on about half of the yards because of gates. I am planning on buying a 32" gravely prosteer from (Mowingman) so I can get into all of the gates except a few, which I mow the back with my toro 21". My question is this. Would it be beneficial to get a 48" gravely prosteer ($2500 new) to do the front yards and use te 32" on the back? Would this allow me to gain more yards or would it not save me enough time to justify the 48"?
  2. GStover

GStover LawnSite Member

Lonnie...I'll "bump" this up for you by asking why a 36" won't fit through your yards. I live in the same basic locale as you, and have yet ran into a gate less than 36"...the worst I've measured so far is 37" (the true opening) into the yard... Anyway, have you measured all your gates to be sure a 36" won't fit, just from a productivity standpoint?
  3. lonnie

Alot of my yards have the single door chain link fence gate.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That and a 37" cut width mower is likely 38" to 38 1/2" wide overall...

Why someone would produce a 37" mower is beyond me...

I have a 36" walker and it's maximum width is 37". I KNOW there is going to be 36" gates it won't go thru. a metal deck dosn't squish much thru metal fence posts!

It ought to be ILLEGAL for anyone to put in a gate smaller than 5 feet wide! lol!
  5. lonnie

anyone have any suggestions?
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The gated yards you have, what is the average size opening? Are most of them only going to work with a 32" or would some of them be wide enough for something bigger, such as a 36", 42", 44", or 48" ?
  7. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

If equipment can shorten the job buy/save for whatever you need. Mowers don't go bad and can easily last 10 years. as time goes on you'll be able to find those bigger lawns to make the larger equipment pay for itself.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The added productivity of a 48" mower on that few (20 yards) is not going to be that great.

20 yards, what does that take 4 hours 4 days a week. So going to a 48" for front yards then switching to the 32 for the backs, you work 3.5 hours 4 days. Call it $ 7 per hour profit. You are looking at 3 years of saved half hours to pay for the mower.
    Actually more like 4.5 considering the length of your mowing season.

Now if you plan on going and getting 20 more accts or have some other reason to NEED the efficiency, then sure, but you will waste as much time loading and unloading as you save with the larger deck. IMO
  9. gartj

gartj LawnSite Member

What I've done in the past, and to some it might sound stupid, is to change the gate opening to what you need. It's cheap, easy and shows the customer you really want to be a provider to them. All in all it gets you in and out quicker, larger gate opening larger mower.
  10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Do you operate by yourself? There have been times where we have tilted the wb to get it thru the gate. It usually takes two people, but it works.