1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which way to go?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by SWEET-T, Dec 7, 2009.

?

Do it yourself or Go with a Pro

Poll closed Jan 6, 2010.
  1. Spend big $$$ and hire someone

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Pick a sitebuilder and do it myself

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. SWEET-T

SWEET-T LawnSite Member

Tried to read every thread here and have one question. Will using a builder site and doing it myself limit the accessability to potential clients? Will letting a pro do it enable the site to be found easier by those using search engines? I'm on the fence because like everyone working for themselves I am watching every penny coming and going. I want the visibility but also the best bang for my buck! Merry CHRISTmas!

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

There is an inherent difference between the web sites that a pro will build and that which you create yourself. It is like anything else... If you want pro results, leave it to a pro to do.

www.integralighting.com

This is my 6 year old website. It has not had a major upgrade since its inception.

3. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I've spent the $'s to have mine done, take a look: www.sealkc.com

I think it shows. It depends on how much business you want from the web. I'm no longer in lawn/landscape, and my market is now very different, but I really love this forum, and my business still has some overlap.

Building the site is only half the battle. Optimization is what get your site found and is just as hard/expensive as building the site itself.

I believe your website should reflect directly on your business. For example if you were simply maintaining property for banks for example, the site doesn't need to be that great. If you're manicuring million dollar homes, your website should reflect the quality of your work. :)

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

i think it has alot to do with how much you have to spend. if you're on the small scale, build a site on your own for now, and once you get some capital re-do the site with the help of a professional.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

There are many ways to "pay" for a professional web site. Don't forget the ease and simplicity of contra deals. You supply your expertise and services in return for those of another. That is how my site was developed. Worked out really well for everyone.

www.integralighting.com

www.ledlightsdirect.com

6. commercialnetinc

commercialnetinc LawnSite Member

Your poll assumes that you need to spend a lot of money to achieve professional results. In that, you are leaving out a third, and relatively new option: Pre-built site constructs (aka CMS) that can be modified either by you or a professional designer (or jointly) which offer professional features and plug-ins that can easily be self-installed.

Professional Web developers are expensive because they are often asked to build Websites for clients from scratch. With a CMS system, the site itself is already built, page editors are pre-installed, and content libraries already exist for users of particular systems. Ultimately, you can figure these systems out on your own. Graphics may be the only issue for you the average small business owner, but even hiring a graphic designer to customize a few images for you is cheaper than hiring a Web developer to build a site for you from scratch.

-Robert-

_

7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

You don't have to spend a ton to get a quality site that can be found. Content is king.