Which WB would you buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tree & Lawn Care, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Tree & Lawn Care

Tree & Lawn Care LawnSite Member

If money were no object, which WB would you buy and why? This is my second year in the lawn care business. I mow 25 residential lawns and continue picking up 2 - 3 new lawn contracts per week. I currently own a Simplicity Pacer 34 and am looking for another WB mower. I realize the Simplicity Pacer 34 is not a commercial mower and therefore hesitate to make the investment into another one. Your thoughts are appreciated.
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well its kind of a tough choice. Personally I would buy a ZTR, but if you want a walk behind, I would suggest either Bob-Cat or Exmark. I own a Bob-Cat and it has been a good machene. Also, never had an Exmark, but have had many Toros and they have been decent.
  3. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I was in the same position at the beginning of last year. Read many posts on this subject but found the most important issue was the dealer. It was between a 48 WB SCAG or 48 WB Exmark. I shopped around and found a SCAG dealer close buy that dealt only with SCAG Mowers and RedMax hand equipment. Because they deal with only SCAG they have a very quick turnaround and fixing problems. Because my decisions was based on the dealer I went with SCAG. I am very happy and feel I made the right decision.
    My advice.......narrow your choices on equipment and then find a dealer your comfortable with.

Good Luck.
  4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

For choices i would find out what dealers around you stock/sell. This way if a belt breaks or you need a part asap you know where to get it. I had a Ferris WB and no dealer near me. My throttle cable broke one day and I was SOL trying to get a replacement to fit from local dealers. I had to adjust the throttle by hand till my order from J-thomas came in.
  5. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

playboy how do you like that exmark tthp? how much did you pay for it?

i'm about to buy the same mower, so any positive or negative comments would be greatly appreciated
  6. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

Wright Stander... End of story
  7. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to one guy he'll say exmark , one guy will say scag, so on , and so on, try to demo and see which one your comfortable with. I was in your situation and have personally owned Scags, bobcats, exmarks,buntons and started w/ sensation. My most important feature is quality of cut. If the customer is happy, so am I. I recently was looking for a hydro walk behind( never owned one except for riders scag and exmark Lazer) To me it was a no brainer I bought the Exmark turf tracer hp. If I was looking for a belt drive I would lean towards the new pro-steer Gravely, Fixed deck easy height adjustment. Gravely has gone all out to put out a great machine. ( Ck out specs and compare) My next choices would be ExmarkMetro hp( Floating deck) ( Great cutting mowers) or Toro T-bar ( Floatin deck), people have told me t-bars are Great.also cut well in wet grass. Ive been in your shoes before and when your only buying one machine you want the best one. Best of luck, John
  8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll see a short review i made for it.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. Thats all you need.
  10. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

Go out and talk to your dealers in the area. Is there any dealer that you know really well? Get to know the dealers and what they sell. Most commercial mowers are very good, depends on the operator what their preference is. If at all possible, go with the best dealer support. A great dealer will make even a fair machine great.