Which WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hamsey, Jun 28, 2005.

1. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have one commercial account and 3 private accounts. I need to get a WB. I have searched and checked manufacturer's website. More confused now than when I started. Here is what I am looking at. 48" Decks and having just gone thru carpal tunnel surgery pistol grips are out

Gravely Pro G
    Exmark Metro
    Ferris
    Toro Proline

All dealers nearby. I hope to pick up a couple more properties next year.

Two of the current properties have slopes.

I am big on stripping and quality of cut so that is my biggest requirement with mulching next. I would like quality not quantity.

Which of the above would you people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Norm

2. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I have a metro 36 with pistol grips (horrbile on wrists). It cuts good, but I really wish that I would have gotten hydro instead of belts, and float deck. I was un aware that lescos prices were so low when I was in the market and want to check into those for next season, I've heard great things about them.
    If I was trying to choose my first wb again, I would definatly get something with ergonomic controlls, hydro and float deck - I just regret not buying a machine that I could continue to use as my mani mower as my business grew/grows. $0.02

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out a Hustler if you have a dealer in the area. A few of my fingers started locking up at night and getting stiff just using a 21" Toro mower.

I bought a Hustler WB with the motorcycle type grips and no problems now with my fingers.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The hustler 48" super walk is the best 48" walkbehind. It is not the cheapest It is built like and will do anything a similar size z will do and more. The h-bar steering is the easiest to use of any walkbehind controls. and NO body else makes a 48" walk with 23hp. and 20 in tires.

5. DLS1

You and Pete are funny with trying to say a Hustler WB is better than a Z. I would rather ride than walk any day of the week. :D

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't say it was better for everything what I say is A super wb with a sulky it will do anything a similar size (44"-52") z will do and more.
    A z won't go on a 45 deg slope, A Z won't go under waist high tree limbs.
    A z might save a bit of time on large areas and give your legs a rest.
    I am not trying to compare a 48" wb to a 60" or 72" but The 48" super with a sulky will keep up with a 48" Z.

7. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for the other brands but i've used Toro WB's for fourteen years and I really like the comfortable T-bar controls.

8. DLS1

Okay very good points. I was only looking at from the wear and tear on the body which when you get older you tend to look at that more or at least I do.

9. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

I am a hard-core Exmark user. Mowed all week with my 52" Turf Tracer HP (19hp and ECS controls) and it really is a great mower. It is obviously not as fast as my Lazer, but it handles all obstacles and all weather (like really saturated lawns...) I add this reply to point out that the hydros are a big improvement over gears. If money is really tight, check out an Exmark Viking. The hydro ECS controls are great...oh yes, go for a 52"!

10. tnturbo

tnturbo LawnSite Member

I've had good luck with the two Exmarks I've had in the past