1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which welder would you get or should I get?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Dunn's, May 8, 2008.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

here is the link http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=welder

This will mostly be used for welding small things like the steel mesh on the trailers and welding christmas decoration, as well as fabricating things for the equipment.

Thank in advance for any replies.

We already where given an arc welder that needed 220V so we went and made up a extension cord so it could be plugged into the generators. Which cost us $100 to make and then the damn welder doesn't work.

Will the mig for $149 be enough?
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think I would spend the extra and get maybe a decent welder. I have a Hobart (Miller) Handler 135, replaced by the 140. It runs on 120 and does a decent job. They had both the gas and flux core.
  3. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

if it's harbor freight it will break. lol

Get a good Ac/Dc stick. Lincoln. Better then a mig. Go to tig and it's a different story. I know plenty that went back to stick. For cheaper welders it's better. You get around $3000 and the mig is better.
  4. Saltydawg

Saltydawg LawnSite Member

Yea those Chicago Electric welders are garbage.

Welding equipment is one of those things where you really need to spend a bit of money to get acceptable results.
    Hobart and Lincoln are easy enoguh to find and are about as cheap as I would recomend to someone.
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I agree on the stick welders. Lincoln.
  6. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

I bought a Lincoln off ebay brand new. 220V and it does a nice job. I paid under $400.00 for it and it was brand new. I did need to buy a small tank of argon gas. So far I am very happy with it.

Regards Mike
  7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I would stick with one of the name brands too. Worth the extra money.

I think I would go with a mig rather than stick because the learning curve is much faster and I think it will just be a lot easier to work with for your applications. Tack welds, light fabrication, etc. If you get into building heavier duty equipment, welding outdoors and that sort of stuff then I would definitely look at a stick electrode.
  8. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

i have the one from habor freight for 149 or so and it is a great small welder, i have welded anything from a cage on my trailer to fixing 1/4 in heavy great metal on my uncles trailer. great welder,

buy the warranty for $29 and your welder is covered for 2 yrs no question asked. welder looks a little cheap but i have not had one prob with and i have used the hell out of mine

hope this helps.
  9. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks mjlcare

like I said I am only using this for samll things maybe 3 times a year so we are not about to spend four grand, it we spent that kind of money on stuff we never really used we would go out of business. So anyone else use the cheapy at harbor freight?
  10. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking a lincoln stick for around $400. Not $4000.

If ya want cheap get one from Wal mart. Campbell Hausfield I think it is. I boought 2 clearenced for around $40 ea. Usually around $250. More then likely the same as your looking at. I thought if I use it twice I'd get my money out of it. Got to use it twice. Piece of junk. LOL Took back to Wal Mart.