Which Welder?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by lawncare3, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look a Wal-mart at the Campbell-Hausfield Mig. It's about $200 and I use it to build things like this.....

trailer pics 013.jpg
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that a fcaw or gmaw welder that did that??

Btw, you know Jeff Hardy???:D
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I went with something like choice #1, but even a cheaper model. It was $200, but you can find it on sale for $159 at times. If has been a decent welder so far. If I had to do it all over again I probably would of went with something a little stronger. Something that holds more that one pound of wire would be nice. Also, something you can weld in one pass would be equally nice. I would also suggest getting an auto darkening helmet.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are considering a welder due to price, stay away from the 110 v mig welders, as they are toys with only 10% duty cycles. Get a Miller Thunderbolt stick welder. Ours is over 25 years old....They only cost $500.00 wiith all the cables, and a helmet, and you will get years of service from them. If you want a mig, then save your money and get a Milller Matic, 220v with tweeco tip and an argon bottle...Cost about $3,300.00.

And stay away from Costco/Sams Club welders...Even though they say Miller, or Lincoln on the jacket, the guts are made in China or lower ubangia and when they break, you toss them away...Miller products sold in welding stores cost a hundred or so more, but worth every penny...
    Every person I know who has a 110v toy mig, no matter whose brand, has to take them in for repair after a few years. They work great in a pinch, but not for serious welding.
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally know that miller and hobart products that are sold in consumer stores i.e Sears, are equipped with with the exact same components as the ones sold at welding dealers. Only difference is that is has a sears serial plate instead of one that says Miller Electric.

with argon for under $2000