1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which would be better?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Horsepower Lawns, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a Cub 18hp with a 38in deck. Works great for small lawns. I have just started about 2 months ago, so no need to get the bigger deck yet. But I have done a 3 acre yard, and have had calls about a 4 acre yard and today went and looked at a camp with about 6-7 acres.

I don't want to spend the next 3 days mowing 1 place so I was thinking about getting a tow mower that is about 42in or getting a 36(?)in walk behind.

With the tow I would cut about 6 feet wide in 1 path, but with the walk behind I think it would cut faster.

So which is better?? :confused:
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The walkbehind mower would last longer while still performing very well! JMO
  3. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

tiger Cub?
  4. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Just curious, how long does it take you to do a 3 acre yard with that size mower? Reason i'm asking is because someone with a yard that big is interested in my service and I'm really not sure how long it will take me, therefore I'm not sure how much to charge...
  5. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

It took me 5 hours to cut that 3 acres. It most of it was 6-8in tall, but some of it was 9-11in. It was slow, but I got it done. The yard also needed bagged or a sweeper ran over it to get the old grass out.