Which would you buy ....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

Friday I went to my local Snapper dealer and started looking at a new mower. I do mostly small to med sized residental with a few nice sized lots (one over 3 acres).

I am looking at a 48 Z with a bagger for $7000 or I can get a 48 hydro walk behind and save some $.

I love my 36 hydro walk behind that I have used for the last to seasons but need a bigger mower. Which would you spend your money on. The WB would be easier to get on my trailer, but I could make the Z fit.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Its a personal choice. With a 48" hydro and a Sulky you would be able to have the space on the trailer and not have to chase after the mower all day.

Some people think a ZTR might be too heavy, there is a weight increase but IMO its a matter of perception.

Personally I would save my money and buy the 48" hydro.

3. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

walkbehind, 7000 seems a little high for a 48" z?

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

48 Z with a bagger:drinkup:

5. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

that is with the blower, triple bagger and mulch kit.

6. naturesway

naturesway LawnSite Member

I went with the z-turn over the walk behind myself. With the bagging unit you can fit more grass. This will save you some time when mowin. Also when it comes time for clean-ups I just blow the leaves on the lawn and mow them starting with the deck as high as it can go and I work my way down.

7. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

It depends what your looking for and also how much money your willing to spend. Also think about how long it would take for you to get it paid off and which is better in the long run.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look now don't mind me as I get rid of some pent up frustration lol but so many times have I mentioned stay AWAY from those stupid small horse crap 3 foot decks and get a real mower, that is, one with a 4 foot deck!

Seems all the new guys fail to realize what difference that extra foot makes, the day you start to ride that 48" the swath you clear will astound you, I dare say you'll get lawns done so fast you'll be telling yourself "Wow I can't believe how much difference that little bit of deck made"

I never made this mistake, I had folks telling me not to fool with the small decks and forget the gated yards, if the 48" don't fit I can not service it was and is my attitude. I took that same approach here but got tired of repeating myself, year after year same old crap everybody keeps thinking they need a small deck, as if nothing was getting through lol.

So anyhow that's my take on it and sorry for the spam
    On that note if only they sent me stuff to increase my DECK size I might not mind.

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

$7000 sounds a little high for a 48" and bagger. One of the dealers near me has a 48" Exmark Lazer CT with a bagger for $6500. Maybe tI agree to some extent with the above post by topsites. A 48" ZTR will get a lot more grass cut than a 36" wb. My Ferris goes 10mph, and most walk behinds will go half that, max. I think 36" and smaller units do have their place, like really small residentials or commercials that take too long with a 21" but don't justify a ZTR.

10. silentbob

silentbob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

One piece of advice, check out the hydros and engines on both types that you are looking at. In my experience, it pays to get the biggest engine/hydro combination regardless of whether it is a rider or a walk behind. I went with a 52" Lazer over a 48" because the difference in size of the engine and hydros. It was not too much more than a 48", but the difference in deck size, power, and mechanicals make it a much more robust and longer-lasting machine. Also, when I bought a walk behind, I went with the biggest setup available in the 52" which was the 23hp Kawi and I have never had it bog down no matter how wet or long the grass is. J

Also, depending on the size of the lawns you have, it pays to have at least 1 rider during leaf cleanups. Walk behinds are overall more versatile (with a velke), but are worthless for leaf cleanup. Just my opinion.