Which would you buy??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DBFlawn, Jan 26, 2012.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

hey guys im looking for a new truck and im stuck between 2 trucks and i cant decide which one would be the better choice. it will be used to commute daily about 70 miles mixed highway and city. i plan to keep the truck a long time. it will be used for plowing, occasional towing a bobcat and other misc. stuff on a fairly day to day basis.

truck one:
    2006 F350 crew cab long bed lariat extremely clean with 66k miles all stock other than a leveling kit and tires
    pros-
    clean
    66k miles
    all options
    long bed
    southern truck

cons-
    long bed
    and its a salvage title because of a theft recovery
    its 180 miles away
    goose neck ball in bed but truck only has 1800 hours
    350=worse mpg right?
    no plow/salter

asking 18,500. probably get a 1000-1500 off. i like the fact that its a southern truck with low miles, and dont mind the travel but its just another expense. the long bed might be a downfall plowing and driving regularly but i think i could adapt. but as i also said before it will be driven daily and i dont know how much the mileage will affect it being its a 350

truck 2-
    2007 f250 outlaw crew cab short bed 105k miles

pros-
    newer
    local
    8.5 western plow and salter
    250= better mpg?
    short bed

cons-
    higher miles and newer
    exposed to salt and was a previous plow truck
    edge programmer

asking 20k firm. i like this truck. but there are a few things that concern me. one it was a previous plow truck and all that wear and tear has been done to it. on the other side i get the plow and salter with it. would you guys be concerned about this? also the truck has been programmed since the 100k mark with an edge programmer and i believe the one it has does NOT program the transmission. also has a water methanol injection kit that i dont know much about or what it does. on the bright side its a 250 for better mpg and a short bed for plowing.

that being said if it was your guys money which one of the 2 would you most likely choose.

P.S. i don't need the 350, the 250 will do just fine for me.

sorry about the long post everyone, this just has me stumped and i cant decide

thanks again

2. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

#1 & put a long plow on it

3. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

the 07 , stay away from the salvage title trucks ! it will have a much lower resale. Call ford and see if you can buy an extended warranty on either truck

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

What size tires those #1 has
    Look closely at front wheel bearings big tires torn them apart and not a cheap fix
    4x4 right

5. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

How big of a plow do you think this truck would need?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

You wouldn't be worried about it being programmed and a previous plow truck?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

I beleieve the tire size is somewhere around a 305-70-17 not am not completely sure. there not giant tires but they are a bit bigger than stock.

and yes both truck are 4 wheel drive and 6.0 diesel's.

8. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

it is possible to still buy extended warrantys on truck that the original warranty has expired? i'm not sure if that was a stupid question or not but i thought maybe there might be a grace period where they might let you slide.

thanks for the help so far, keep the replys coming, its apprecited

9. ParkWelding

If I lived in a state where it was easy to title a salvage-titled truck, I would absolutely look at truck #1. As a matter of fact I would run away from the former plow and salter truck, programmed and meth injected truck, 105kmi 6.0 truck #2, as fast as my fat a$$ would go.

As far as plow length, if you are doing anything other than plowing in a dead straight line-minimum 8.5. Preferably 9. If it was a dually, even longer.

10. ParkWelding

Front hub assemblies are pretty reasonable. Fairly easy to install. If you can do brakes yourself, you can do a 4x4 ford front hub.