which would you choose a track skid steer or a utiliy tractor

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Monroe74, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious to what you would buy first for mulching, bush hogging, snow removal, renovations. A 50 hp tracked skid steer such as a asv rc 50 or a New holland 50 hp utility tractor.

2. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

There is a considerable price difference but you mentioned some of the advantages a Utility tractor would have over a skid steer - Snow removal, brush hogging, possible finish mowing? Not sure what you mean by renovations (lawn?) then it would be the tractor -

You will not find the perfect one machine does all, so you pick the machine that tackles as much tasks that you need them for. Keeping in mind the price difference between a ASV with a front mulching unit and a Tractor for example....

3. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

The skidsteer will always leave marks in the lawn, evnen with tracks. They are also hard to navigate in loose soil like sand. When you turn it just piles up the material. The skid loader probably weighs a lot more too. I have a the third biggest NH skid steer and it is great for trenching and moving dirt, but not for finishing dirt work. The SS works great for snow removal. I have metqal tracks over tires. The tractor just seems more useful. Although I have cleaned out a pond with 28" of water in it with my ss. JMO.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

the model he mentioned has less ground pressure than a Dingo, the 17" wide turf tracks will leave NO footprint at 3 PSI. I've put more ruts in a yard with a JD 5 or 6 series than any tracked skidder. Just don't do zero turns, duh.

5. cmcintosh

cmcintosh LawnSite Member

I have a fairly big JCB skid steer and it chews the hell out of the property, makes ruts and sinks in soft ground. If your into excavation it'll rip a 12" spruce right out of the ground (and mine is for sale) If your like me into finish work, mulch and soil and trees with the occassional pallet of stonework and boulders and your trying not to do much damage getting to where the work needs to be done, get the smallest skid steer like the bobcat 463 with a set of wider turf tires or get a loader that you can steer. Smaller takes a little more time on the job but gets you out of the site faster when you don't have to fix everything. I used to think bigger, grunt, better, scratch... then I grew up and evaluated what time I spend and how I spend it on each project.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

the type of track makes a big difference, the industrial bar tread will leave lovely dents.

I saw a big firm in town this summer zoom into the neighborhood with two BB 1 1/2" calipar trees they used the big skidder to auger the holes and transport the trees to their final resting spot, the problem is they then had to fill and seed the ruts left behind:hammerhead: now normally I don't think this would be too bad, but the lawn was picture perfect, and I'm sure they didn't match the seed type. either use a miniskid or put some plywood down, but now the homeowner has four sets of dirt tracks to look at.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a tractor should work good for that work plus save you some money!

8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

tractor is much more versitile

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how you could describe a tractor as versatile - they are hard to maneuver in close quarters , very limited compared to skidsteers in terms of available attachments , harder by far to change attachments ........... cmcintosh makes a great point - get the smallest ss that will get the job done for you - in my case , that is one that will lift at least 2k pounds , the weight of a pallet of sod - also for my application needs to be a rubber tracked unit. I have two tractors - one with a box blade for grading gravel and one with a bush hog for heavy mowing . Everything else is a Dingo or skid steer.

10. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

If you would like a versatile machine I would suggest a rubber track loader like an ASV. Do yourself a favor and shop for a 60 (RC-60) horse machine it is physically the same size as a 50 buy gains 10hp with the addition of a turbo. If you want to stay with low ground pressure ASV is the only way to go. You will still have the option to use attachments like a brush cutter, and the ASV goes through the snow better than any other tracked machine on the market. 60's should be very cheap as they will be different for next year and most dealers are looking to move current inventory this winter.