Which would you choose, drought or too much rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by absolutelawnman, Jun 5, 2006.

1. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

It sounds as though many of you have too much rainfall, while us in Oklahoma are a foot below this year and almost 4' for the last two. I have forgotten how much of a pain it is when it rains all the time and feel like I would choose a drought over wet weather any day. Especially, if you have other services to offer, sprinkler installs, lighting etc.

However, I am getting tired of people asking to skip when they know I do not do it, and if I do when they ask; it is because I have another big project working.

So Rain or no rain?

2. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

drought = low growth on the grass, watering restrictions, hard soil, no sod/planting installs, etc.

rain = extra growth on the grass (which means no skipping) soft easy to shovel soil, plenty of sod work and great sod from the farm, etc.

I can still work in the rain although I have to work harder to make my money I would rather have it a rainy season then a drought, last year we had a terrible season due to the drought

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd rather have rain. When it rained 8 days in a row here I still managed to come out only a day and a half behind and that was because I was lazy.

Drought, I'm out of work unless I have alot of upsales on mulch/landscaping/other work, and it would take alot of other work to make up for the money lost on mowing.

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rain eventhough it sucks having to mow extra long grass week after week atleast im working and making money.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

better to be a day behind, than a day ahead.
    take the rain.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea, rain gives you hope.

7. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Hands down rain... I'm not made of sugar and **** floats so... The rain isn't going to kill you... it's the hail and lightning i could do without!

Drought = Sit on your can or find a new line of work, I don't know how a guy could make it if we had a drought & no snow durring winter.

All Clear

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Rain without question.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Drought
    If I want water I can hit the pool or hot tub. :)

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Very well said!!!!!:cool2: :cool2: