Which would you choose? Truck choice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I realize there is the truck forum, but this relates to cutting more than just truck ??

Currently I use an f-250 with a grass lift installed in the back. I pull a 16 ft trailer. We remove lots of grass (feed it to cows). This year I have begun some good landscaping jobs and plan on offering lawn maint. and landscape install and renovation.

I have the opportunity to purchase (very reasonably) a 3500 chevy dually with a 2 yard dump bed. This would be a great landscape truck. It has low mileage and is in excellent shape. I figure I can ramp into the back of the truck from the tralier.

Any one have experience with the 1 ton with a dump? Any thoughts, words of wisdom, or screams of warning? The f-250 works well right now but the grass lift really limits its use for anything other than a mowing setup. At this point it is one or the other (can't swing both just yet) which would you do?

2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

i really dont have an answer about the truck, i more concerned about feeding the cows. are you worried about pestcide residuals when feeding your live stock.?

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though I own a Chevy 3500 im not a fan of them I always liked the Fords but I will tell you if the price is right any make is right for the job if it will earn you money! Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as a decision which one to keep I wont tell you my answer even though its listed above but I will tell you if you deliver mulch, loam, rock or any bulk material that Chevy 3500 dump will be a god-send in labor reduction. Like I said if the price is right do it!

4. Currier

The cows only get "clean" grass. Been feeding them for seven years...pretty much like everyone else around here that has access.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though I own a Chevy 3500 and a 1500 HD im not a fan of them why do I own them (THE PRICE WAS RIGHT!!) I always liked the Fords but I will tell you if the price is right any make is right for the job if it will earn you money! Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as a decision which one to keep I wont tell you my answer even though its listed above but I will tell you if you deliver mulch, loam, rock or any bulk material that Chevy 3500 dump will be a god-send in labor reduction. Like I said if the price is right do it! We at present time run a Chevy 3500 454 pickup a 1500 H/D pickup, a Dodge W350 flat bed, 2 Ford diesel dumps and a Ford Diesel pickup all are 4wd but the 1500HD and most were purchased cause the price was right and could make money with them. So to me Ill go with the Ford if the price is the same but if the Chevy or Dodge is cheaper and in the same condition thats what will be sitting at our shop!

6. We have a 1997 3500 heavy duty duelly with a three yard bed and the 7.4 engine in it and its been like a rock.
    It Likeing the gas has been our only problem with it .
    It dont get good mileage .
    Im prejuiced being a GM retiree but chevy has always been like a rock for me.

7. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

oh alright, i live in the burbs so the closest cow is 40 miles. i was just curious. i own a 2000 f350 dually diesel. this by far is the best overall truck i've ever had. i had a 98 f250 and it was great, but i need a 1 ton. alot of people i know have strayed away from chevy trucks ( because of the duramax ), what year is the chevy, my brother had a 91 1 ton dump and he wasn't to happy with it. he bought a 2000 f650 chassis cab and put a dump box on it, this thing just plain rocks

8. Currier

I'll be checking it out more in the next couple of days. I believe it is a 98 and was a government truck. It has 28,000 miles on it they want 15,900.00 figure I can probably get decent trade in on the ford (95)
    Sure appreciate the info. Thanks!

9. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Hey bud, if you can, try to hook up w/ an f350. I'm not tryin to knock anybody elses choice of equip... all depends on your application.
    Over the years working w/ many different landscapers I have had the opportunity to use chevy, ford, dodge, and Mitsu. The dodges were very comfy and stylish (my personal fav for a personal vehicle), but lots of brake/front end and tranny probs, just not very heavy duty, the cummins is awfully nice though. Chevys reminded me of a 1 ton on a car chassis, again not very rugged, especially if you plow. Mitsu's were awesome trucks... hardly ever a problem, and good power from only a 4cyl turbo diesel. The only thing is finding a dealer close enough and they are a little pricey.
    I have always been a chevy fan and ford hater (and old camaro/mustang thing from back in the high school days), but I do have to say that Ford makes THE best work truck out there. The 7.3L will out pull anything out there. After using a 350 side by side w/ a ram 3500 and a Mitsu for 2yrs, I have seen the light.
    Good luck w/ whatever you go w/. -kj

10. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I own a dodge 1 ton dump. I won't get in a truck war here but it does handle loads better than my 97 gmc did. A 1 ton dump is a must in doing landscaping and one of the biggest time savers. I say buy it...