1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which would you choose

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Electra_Glide, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to buy a 5-ton dump for my light excavating business, and I've found two trucks that are within my budget.

#1 1979 International S1700, 404 gas, 5+2 manual, low miles, good condition, 10' dump

#2 1986 Ford F-700, Detroit diesel, 5+2 manual, unknown miles, fair condition, 12' low-sided dump

The asking price for both trucks is with $5 of each other. Going to test-drive both of them this weekend.

Which one would you prefer and why.

Thanks in advance...

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

International just cause it isn't a ford...

hey, he asked.
  3. Ollie3

Ollie3 LawnSite Member

I'd choose the International, they are beefy.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would choose the International hands down but why are you looking at trucks that are so old?
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Two wheels are more fun
  6. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

For what I have to spend, these are the types of trucks I can afford. The rest of the cash on-hand, and budget for payments is going to go to a skidsteer and/or excavator. Just need the truck to pull that stuff around, and occasionally haul a little bit of material. Probably won't put more than a few thousand miles/year on the truck.

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

For milage, I'd go with the Ford, since a diesel will have more pullin power, and when hauling a heavy machine, you'll want all of that power you can get.
  8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How much are the trucks?

If your not planning on hauling materials with the truck, your going to waste alot of money on trucking.
  9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would take the Int. over the Ford, but stay away from a gas motor. I would shop a bit more.
  10. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i would go with the ford. you won't hear me say that too often. i have read many times when people start the brand wars here it would be nice to have a ford body with a gm engine. with that truck everyone should be happy.
    good luck