1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 16, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

a 12.5 hp kawasaki or a 12 hp briggs for 150 less.. both are attached to walk behind mowers. the 12.5 goes to a 36" gravely pro150 and the 12 goes to a 32" encore with bagger attachment. which would you choose? thanks.

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't consider anything but the Briggs engine but I'm probably the only guy here that would say that:)
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

12.5 kaw on the gravely
  4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The Kawi has a lot more power than the b & s.

The pecking order of engines from lowest to highest goes Briggs, Kohler is one tough engine, and Kawasaki is the best.

I had an older 52" mower where I blew the motor so I got a 15hp Vanguard but even my oldest 15hp Kohler had more oomph than the Vanguard... Never have had a Kawasaki because Kohler is good enough for me, but I strongly suspect a 12.5hp kawi would be roughly equivalent to around a 15hp briggs.
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

thanks everyone. i think i'll get the gravely.
  7. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

36" kawi wb
  8. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 15 hp new style (kai twin) and i'm not impressed with it. ithink it's a dog on my wb plus parts are hard to get and they are expensive.