Which would you get 3/4ton or 1/2ton truck

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by TheHammer, Jan 19, 2008.

1. TheHammer

TheHammer LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what truck you guy's would get

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

What do you plan to do with this truck? Personal use? Work only?

3. TheHammer

TheHammer LawnSite Member

I am going to both with it.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

3/4 ton, I've had 2 half tons and they just can't handle the work load, brakes, suspension always being pushed to the limit and wearing out. I have been happy with my 2500, and even happier with my 2500HD.

5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

General consensuses will tell you at least a 3/4 ton. But situation will dictate what you'll need. Like us dealing with high acreage calls for bigger mowers and heavier trucks, but its nice to have what I call a chase truck for those odds and ends, parts runner, and to meet with the costumers in (I don't know about you but usually people don't like it if you show up in for a meeting in a dump truck)

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

A 1/2 ton will be just enough to get you by if you have a small trailer w/ a couple w/b's or a single Z, but if you plan on doing much stopping & going w/ a bigger trailer & more equipment I'd recommend a 3/4 or 1 ton.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Exact ditto with Lawn Tamer. We prefer GMC & Chevy 2500HD's. They are built to last.

8. RWS

RWS LawnSite Member

3/4 ton works best for me.

9. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

2500 HD is the only way to go. Do not waste your money on a 1/2 ton truck. I have been there and done that, what a mistake.

Regards Mike

10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 LawnSite Member
    from denver

if you are using it for any kind of towing get a 3/4 ton the 1/2 tons are worthless for any kind of towing :hammerhead: