Which would you get 3/4ton or 1/2ton truck

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by TheHammer, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

3/4 ton or 1 ton; nothing less

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

3/4 or 1 Ton!!

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Nothing less than 3/4 ton. Otherwise you'll regret it. Check and see what rear it has too.

4. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

At least a 3/4 ton. 1 ton is even better.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I have both! 1/2 ton for pulling mowers/equipment. 3/4 ton for leaf/mulch etc. If i could only have 1 however it would be the 3/4. The half ton with my hemi and tow package is rated to haul 7100lbs. Thats a few ztr's. 1/2 tons are more capable then people give credit for. But they cant be loaded with alot of weight.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Most serious business owners choose 3/4 ton. While 1/2 ton's do haul a decent payload, many business owners will/do overload them sooner or later. I pass so many overloaded 1/2 tons on the interstate regardless of the business type. All I can so is shank my head at the overloaded trucks, some folks just don't listen.

7. spooln6

spooln6 LawnSite Member
    from OK

The newer 1/2 tons are just as beefy as the mid 90's 3/4 tons. I would consider an 07 Tundra or Titan if I wanted a 1/2 ton. If your looking between 1/2 or 3/4 your probably going with a gas motor. If thats the case, the Hemi is not a heavy duty motor or good for pulling, The Ford 5.4 is gutless, the Chevy 6.0 is ok but a bit thirsty from what I've seen (haven't been around it with the new 6sp auto). Now the new Tundra has big brakes, 10.5" rear end, and more power that the 3/4 ton motors above and gets descent mileage. The Titan has some downfalls but the motor and tranny are good for pulling.

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

9. spooln6

spooln6 LawnSite Member
    from OK

That is the first I have heard about the Tundra. Everything I have heard talked about their good acceleration, descent mpg, and their stoutness. I'm sure Toyota will get the problems figured out, they just about always do. The Titan I had pulled like a beast, but it did like to drink as well.

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Hemi is not good for towing? Not heavy duty? Thats interesting because my hemi pulls better than my 250 with the 360. It also out pulled many diesels i have had. My 07 1500 with hemi and tow is rated for 7100lbs towing. Tow package comes with heavy duty oil coolers. I do hear the nissan titan tows well but when it comes to big purchases go AMERICAN.