??? Which would you get 3 acre yard!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by needing-a-mower, Aug 6, 2004.

1. needing-a-mower

needing-a-mower LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide which mower I need, I have 3 acres to cut regularly... and some day may be cutting as much as 5 acres!
    No gates to contend with but there are several trees on the property. None too close together (I'm thinking 4 1/2 to 5 feet are the closest ones together), but I may be thinning them so don't let that be the deciding factor. The acreage is sloped somewhat but does have its fair share of dips & rises in it. Locals here all scream to get the Hustler 52" Z mower (the Estate Mower) not the full blown commercial one. Currently I'm walking a 21" NON-self propelled mower about 3 hours a day 4 days a week! My Craftsman gave up mid summer, the deck idler pulleys broke off & I'm having trouble getting it fixed/repaired. If I were not NEW here perhaps I'd better be able to make this choice on my own, but it seems like you guys can be a GREAT help to me with this so why not ask???
    Casey_Ivey@hotmail.com
    Casey

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Casey it depends on how much money you want to spend. I use the Super Z with the 27 hp Kohler and 60" deck and it will mow anything you need to mow just as fast as you feel like you want to ride it. I have a friend with the Hustler Z 23 hp Kawasaki and 60" deck which he loves also. I really don't know what kind of grass you will be mowing so I can't say if the extra hp is necessary but where I live in the edge of N.C. it really makes a lot of difference. This week alone I have probably cut around 18 acres of grass because of the amount of rain we have had lately. I promise you I could not imagine cutting with any other mower than the Hustler Super Z because of the speed and durability, most of the mowing I do is tough and I believe this is one of a very few mowers that could handle what I put it through. If you have any questions feel free to Email me at puppypaws@alltel.net

3. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I went throught the same process as yourelf several months ago. I have 6.25 acres to cut. I don't have a commercial lawn business and use the mower I bought strictly for my own use. I researched extensively all of the different options and quite frankly, I really didn't want to spend $7000-8000 for a lawn mower. But after much discussion on the message board and with many of the businesses around here that sell and maintain commercial mowers, I conceeded that I did need the step up durablity of a commercial grade mower. You may be able to find cheaper mowers, but the standards of the commercial grade equipment is something I feel was worth the investment. I didn't want to have something that broke down all the time or wouldn't get the job done. I bought a Super Z/60"/27hp rather than the regular Z model simply for the extra things on it ( like a suspension seat, oil cooler, larger wheel motors and hydros ).
    I have been very happy with the performance and cut of my mower. It actually makes mowing for 3 hours or so , fun. And this is the first time in about 15 years that I have actually cut grass myself.
    I looked at a bunch of the different brands and models. All are basically the same, with different bells and whistles. I like the Hustler for it's simplicity. Well built and durable with simple maintenance. I can cut all my property on about 5-6 gallons of gas.
    Obviuosly the choice is yours, but whether you spend $3000 or $8000, buy something that will suit your needs and something you can depend on repairing and not getting destroyed by the use you give it. Good luck.

4. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

Check out the Fastrak 20hp 52" cut. Nice machine and fast. I cut about 4.5 acres with mine and it works great on hills too. Priced lower than the Zs.

Just my 2 cents,
    Chuck

5. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in much the same boat as you. I bought the Hustler Z 60". I thought about a 52", then got a deal on the 60". These things are so manuverable I was really glad I got the 60" instead. You will be too. I didn't really need the Hustler Super Z, so the Hustler Z was perfect. Good luck

gps_jetskier

6. jimmyj810

jimmyj810 LawnSite Member

I just bought a new 60" Z with the 24 HP Honda. I cut about 3.5 acres of Bahalia grass and there is probabably nothing harder on a mower. If I let it get too thick, I have to go a little slower than normal because the 24 HP is a little underpowered, but I will trade that off for the dependability of the Honda motor. If I were in the grass business I would surely get the bigger engine and even go to the Super Z for the bigger hydraulics to help on the wear and tear for the long run. My wife and daughter have become very adept at running the mower and my wife who will be the principle user is really pleased. So far I have changed the oil and greased the unit and maint. is really easy. A couple of the grease fittings are kind of out of the way but not impossible. I will be changing the hydraulic oil and it does not appear like it will be much of a problem. I have added a deck washer myself but I really only use it if the grass is wet. It is usually so dusty and dry that the deck wash is not necessary. I did a lot of research and a lot of looking before I bought and I think for the money, Hustler is definitely the best value. When you look at the warrenty and how the unit is made and the material that it is made out of, the Hustler is a no brainer.

7. needing-a-mower

needing-a-mower LawnSite Member

You guys are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I ended up on finally chosing the FastTrak Z 52" with the 20 HP Honda
    for the dependability.... AND LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! what used to be walking the
    push mower for 2 1/2 to 3 hours 5 to 6 days a week then starting all over.
    now takes all of 1/ 1/2 hours if I'm taking things slow! UN-BELIEVABLE!!!
    With the free time my boys are loving me even more.
    Thanks Again...

Casey Ivey

8. bowhunter1432

bowhunter1432 LawnSite Member

hustler is a great machine we have several i have been runnign one for years now and i love them.

9. Groundlevel

Groundlevel LawnSite Member

Everyone is talking about the Z's but has anyone ever tried Dixie Chopper. I have had one of mine for about 8 years and the other one for 6, very little trouble out of either, althougth I have had to replace the govenor on one of the mowers twice. I am not very mechanically inclined but had no problem doing this on my own. This year I will need to have new rings put on both mine but besides the machine work on the block I will be doing the work myself.