which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by TeamYardsale4, Mar 15, 2013.

1. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at older (6-8 years) walk behind mowers from 36" up to 48". I've never owned a hydrostatic walk behind only belt drive and only ones with pistol grips which I don't mind. My question is for machines this old and not knowing exact hours would you rather buy a belt drive over hydro mainly because if the hydro breaks down it may cost alot
    more to fix then the belt drive?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally belt drive isn't an option. I've got a 10year old mower with 2400+ hours on original pumps and motors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TeamYardsale4

Are they that much better? I've never used one so I don't know any better and I'm very comfortable with belt drive! What brand is your mower with that many hrs? I'm looking at 2 48" ferris mowers that are hydro and one 54" John Deere that's belt drive

4. knox gsl

Full sized Exmark 52" WB, now called the X series. The only thing to change on them in the last 12 years is the EPA mandated fuel tanks and engine specs, oh and deck spindles. I'm not promoting this particular brand but will say that overall the major brands make solid equipment and will last for years if maintained. To answer your question is it that much better, I don't know but I do know that i can do forward to reverse instantly and true zero turns without dragging a wheel brake. I have never been at the controls of a belt drive and have no desire to. Production is the name of the game and dealing with the lowest bidder on equipment won't get you there. Highly productive mowers means more money at the end of the day.

5. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

I would not go any smaller than a 48. first thing. but as far as belt vs hydro. i have used both extensively and would prefer hydro every time. It's smoother, more efficient and involves less maintenance. Yes it is more expensive if it breaks. but its a heck of alot easier to fix as well. youll the hydro, smooth clean and efficient.

oh, and never go below 48.

6. birddseedd

my toro snapped a wheel motor shaft at just under 1k hours.

although it has a hitch, no tellin what the other guy did with it. he coulda been pullin stumps.

7. TeamYardsale4

Awesome feed back guys. I guess I'm looking into a used hydro!!!

8. TeamYardsale4

What's diff in maintenance for a hydro compared to a belt drive? Remember I've never owned one but I'm assuming for the transaxles you just change the oil out to keep em lubed good? Less belts to worry about which would be nice haha

9. knox gsl

I just remove the filter and drain the oil every year. Put on a new filter and top off the tank. After that jack up the drive wheels and let it run forward (wheels in the air) till they are back at full power. I will then drop it back down and top off the hydro oil 1 more time. Its that easy.

10. birddseedd

change the oil once in a while. maybe every 1000 hours. 500 if you want to be real proactive.

then change pump and motor when its old and they go out. or like mine when its young and goes out :angry:

belt drive you are constantly replacing belts, adjusting for belts, springs to wear out. pullys that are a pain to change. gear oil to change every year. they also get weak as they wear so youll have to get off ur sulkey and walk it till you do maintenance, replace belts or whatever. or when the belts get wet. hydro is better in many ways.

that said i do love my old bobcat. jsut wish the brakes worked. why they chose rivets ill never know.