Which would you prefer in a large ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowjeep, Apr 11, 2008.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Lets assume both mowers have the same features and cost the same. The mower your replacing is a 54" with a top speed of 8mph. You also own a 34" ztr. The first mower is a 52" cut with a top speed of 12mph. The second is a 60" cut with a top speed of 10mph. You are trying to increase productivity. Which would you chose and why?

2. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

the 60 inch i never go full speed on a yard.

3. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

You hardly ever go full speed. It is likely that you would mow about the same speed regardless of which mower you are using so I would get the 60''

4. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

60. Anything smaller is good for tight spaces, but bigger is always better when it comes to decks. It is a matter of efficeincy.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The 60" would probably trim better than the 52' also. I usually cut at 7 mph or so.

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pick the 60" as well:waving:

7. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I WOULD go with the 52inch cut I think they give a better cut and are lighter on the lawn. That is if your yards are 1/2 acre or smaller..

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Between those two 60"!

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming 100% efficiency (for comparison only), the 52"/12mph mower will cut 6.3 acres/hour, the 60"/10mph will cut 6.06 acres/hour. Now, since nobody is ever going to get 100% efficiency, you might as well get the 60", because 12mph is really fast and will probably ride really bad if you even have an area large enough to use full speed. Plus, like tacoma200 said, it will probably trim better.

10. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the input it will help with my choice. I was leaning towards the 60".