Which Wright is best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mark2, Mar 17, 2006.

1. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

I plan to demo a Sentar and a Stander RH Tuesday! The Rep. offered to bring them this way. He's trying to get a new dealer in my area.
    With your experience, which mower would best meet my needs. Stander, Stander RH, or Sentar?
    I want a 52" . I like the idea of simple hoc adjustment. I'm used to a walk behind so sitting is not that important. I cut alot of steep uneven lawns. I cut mostly fescue lawns.
    I plan to demo at a customers property. I will be able to try it over varied terrain and some thick grass. I want to load it on my trailer and test it on the big hill with the tree rings. What would be some things to look for during the demo?
    I havn't been on the site much in the past year or so. I finally broke the lawnsite habit! ;) Or maybe it's because I just have too many other hobbies now. I can't beleive how things have changed so much.
    Thanks fellows,
    Mark2

2. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Just hoping to keep the message near the top. I guess things are slow on the weekends.

3. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

I've just purchased the "52 with the rapid height and a Kawasaki 19hp on it. And i like it alot It. Doesnt bog down in thick/tall grass. I'm really happy with it and cant wait to use it everyday this summer. Motor seems plenty powerful.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We bought the 36" Sport and like it so far, apparently it is the hot machine for them since the local shop sold many and can't get them. Once they put that height adjustment lever on and electric start we swithed from WB and may not look back.

5. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

Has anyone seen the new mid-mount zero-turn mower from Wright? It is a proper sit on zero-turn. It must be quite new because they didn't have it at the Landscape Ontario Show in January. Anyone know more about it?

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've used 52" and 61" Standers and a 61" Sentar. I have very little good to say about the Sentar. I would suggest getting a 52" Stander with 23 or 25 HP. I have not used a RH Stander to comment on them, but from reading on here, the bugs aren't worked out yet and the battery is inbetween your legs on the footplate, which seems like a dumb and dangerous idea to me.

7. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

What is it you don't like about the Sentar? Is it a newer model or the older ones with the problems?
    How about hill holding ability, is one better than the other?
    I'm leaning towards the 52" RH Stander. It's nice to hear someone say the 19hp has enough power. I had wondered about that.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The Sentar is a couple years old. In my opinion, the Sentar is the dumbest design for a lawn mower. First of all, you don't put a bicycle seat on a lawn mower with no back rest, you're just asking for back problems. Also, the location of the seat is like a catapult, so over bumps you get the brunt of it. Those two things combined make for a lot of operator fatigue and frustration. The controls on the Sentar, or at least the one I used, where very difficult to press forward and the automatic neutral return to the controls didn't work, they would stay out, so you had to pull them back to stop. Also, they say you can stand or sit on it. I couldn't stand, the controls were mounted too low, I'm 6' 1", and I had to bend down in an awkward position in order to use the controls. All in all, I would stay far away from anything with a Spanish name (sentar = to sit in Spanish). There were so many times I would have liked to run the thing into a pond. If you're going to only be on the Sentar for short periods of time, it would be more tolerable. My time on it was at hours on end. After about a half hour I would get really ticked off at. Just demo all three and see what you like. What I like and what you like may be two different things.

The Standers I've used have 20 HP B&S engines and they are underpowered probably a 1/3 of the time. My personal prefereance would be the 23 or 25 HP Kawasaki like I already said in my previoius post.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with jtkplc....

If the lawns are small enough that you can live with the Sentar, just get the Stander instead and have a comfortable stand during the time atleast.

Personally, I could not live with a fixed deck. So I like the idea of the Rapid Height Stander. But I don't think I could live with a 19hp on a 52" deck. I guess they don't have room to put anything bigger than that tiny 19 Kaw KAI on that frame.

So I would lean towards the regular 25hp 52" Stander.
    Plenty of power and honestly, comfortable to stand on.
    Past that I can't comment....

10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The stander RH is not the same machine as the regular stander except with the RH feature. It is a different machine. It is not as ergonomic - IMO - as the stander. The controls are very close to your body instead of out a few inches. Also, there is that issue of the battery between your feet. The balance is also different - probably because of the extra weight. I often do wheelies and other creative things to get to those hard to reach places and to mulch up a pile of leaves, etc. The RH wasn't quite as nimble like that.

But, it does have that RH feature which is very important to some people.

Overall, it seemed like a good machine - but it was different.