Which Zero turn for a Hard LIfe?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by FrankMac59, Mar 6, 2004.

1. FrankMac59

FrankMac59 LawnSite Member

I currently mow about 6 acres of rough paddock grass, going around LOTS of trees with a 34" cut 16 HP Australian made machine called a Cox.

I am considering getting a zero turn machine, having had a White about 15 years ago which was great. MY back wants to spend less time jolting about.

My question is which range - of the Toro, JD or Hustler brands available in Australia - would best stand up to a pretty rough life?

In particular, which has the heaviest deck construction?

From my reading it sounds like the Hustler but it is early days for me.

Our gum trees drop a lot of branches and I hate getting off for anything under 2 inches in diameter.

The picture shows what I mean, after a windstorm.

windb0803a.jpg

2. FrankMac59

Here is the omitted picture.

windb0803a.jpg

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hay Mate!!!!!

Thats what i would use a Hustler for:D

John

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

By their Nature the ZTR's will give you more back problems than a Tractor. The reason for this is the ZTR gives no stability for your body Remember, a ZTR is like riding in a car as the passenger without the steering wheel to hold on to when the road gets bumpy. I'd go for a JD Tractor, with a steering wheel to grab.
    DP

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

No matter what mower you go with, I'd sure think twice before mowing over most of those branches. Maybe some of the other guys do this, but I don't mow over 1" branches. Your blades will look like they've been through the Gulf War real quickly.

When people talk about mowers that are built like tanks, the Scag comes to mind very quickly, but perhaps you can't get them down there...

I've used Walkers, and on rough ground the ride can jar your dentures out of your mouth. It would be nice if you could test drive the mower first over your property before buying it...

6. FrankMac59

Thanks for the input so far. Those branches in the pics are somewhat exceptional and most of those got chainsawed and went into the fire.

I must say that I hd no back issues with the zero turn White. (Mind yo uI havehad back surgery since.:))

Certainly, the little Cox is like riding a boulder being dragged over railway tracks so I figure almost anything will be better than that.

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

riding a boulder being dragged over railway tracks heh heh.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Have you tried the Ferris with the independent suspension??

9. FrankMac59

I have not even heard that name in Australia and thanks once again for your input.

However the deed is done now and dealing with my instant gratification need I went for a Toro Z Master Z153, hoping that the extra power and reinforced deck would do the trick.

Quote were received frm three dealers, ranging from $17.500 approx to the accepted one of $15,510 AUD ($11,700 US approx.)

I hope time will prove me to be close enough to the money to not regret this.

10. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yep...the Ferris is a likely candidate. Just began distribution of them last week and the decks look like plate armour on the Bismark and come with different combinations of supsension from a nice ride all the way up to " oh man I hate to get off my Ferris and back in to the truck". Not sure of availability "down under" though.