Which zero turn is best

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justinslawncare, Jan 19, 2006.

1. justinslawncare

justinslawncare LawnSite Member

i am thinking about getting a new zero turn this year and wanted the opinions of some pros not the salesman. i have a kubota zd21 that i love but the 72" deck model is about 14000. i was just wondering what u guys use and think is the best 72" model and even which is better gas or diesel. thanks
  2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking for a good 72" mower i will have to say toro or hustler...i love both brands...the only reason i didnt go with a hustler is i got a KICK@$$ deal on my toro (im glad i went with toro) and the dealer support for hustler is crap around here...hustlers are more expensive but are very good mower and the speed is a plus (15 mph)...the dealer support here for hustler is lousy but the mower themselves are GREAT.....also toro i have a toro and will probablly stay with this brand for a while to come....they give a AWESOME cut with the turbo force deck...and they are VERY reliable i havent had any problems with mine
    All in all i think that toro is better with value and quality just becouse hustler is VERY high in my opinion

As far as Diesal verse Gas, Diesal is ALOT more expensive and i just cant see putting the price difference into a mower....with that said they have alot more torque and you can just about double the hours with a diesal than you can put on a gas engine

I would suggest looking at a toro 72" with the new 30 HP kohler engines....(im not sure if the 30 kohler is out yet but i believe so...someone correct me if im worng)
  3. mr.glenn

mr.glenn LawnSite Member

i have had several different zero turns and i mow mostly foreclosure homes under 1 large contract. the toughest and most reliable mower was my 60" bobcat but it did not cut nice lawns neatly as others. my kubota was a piece of junk along with a gravely[graveyard is more appropriate] i borrowed a toro and loved it but the dealer support here locally is pitiful. i wanted a hustler because all i have heard is how great they are and even tested one,loved it, but the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. currently have a jd 737, very reliable, cost was less than others when i bought it and cuts great in all conditions. just one complaint, it has the most aggravating mulch kit to install i have ever used.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'll get 100 different opinions on what is best here at Lawnsite and that does you no good. What you really need to do is see what is available to you locally and test drive those machines (if possible). If you have questions about a particular mower then come back and ask about it.
  5. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Demo as many as you can. The only thing is 72" is like bailing hay if the grass grows quickly. But if you were to go with a 72" go with a diesel.
    DEMO, DEMO, DEMO, and not for a day I'd demo it for a few days to make sure this is the one you want.
  6. justinslawncare

justinslawncare LawnSite Member

ok thanks to everyone for who posted comments. it was all helpful.
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

72'' diesel.....I'd be looking at max hp, so that would be the Hustler, the toro's etc with 72'' decks running 27hp diesels will struggle a bit in the heavier stuff. the hustler is a top notch machine....I'll probably buy one when they get the new XR-7 decks on em.

another big diesel is the deere 997.....but they have an annoying vibration that comes through the deck on occasion, but they are a good deck, mine is 60'', I use every horse to run this deck, so a 72'' deck may bog, but if your conditions are easy then any of the above will do it easy.

But as I said, a diesel hustler will most likely be my next mower, very smooth machine, I've had 2 demoes, awesome!
  8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Glenn,
    I really find it difficult to believe that your Kubota was a "piece of junk." It must have been a gas engine, not diesel. The three cylinder diesels that Kubota manufactures are the best IMO.

Justin, my dealer here in TN. sells the ZD28/72" machine for $10,000 + tax. If possible, shop around.
  9. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my Deere 997 Diesel. Plenty, and I do mean plenty of power and it cuts great. Mine was just shy of $16,000.00 sittin on the floor at the dealer but since I buy so much from them, I stole it for $12,600.00:p
  10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Do searches and read up on diesel vs. gas and which brand of 72" mower is "best". There are plenty of threads on both subjects that will give you all the information you need to go forward with your purchase. What your definition of best is might not be the same for the next guy. So I would demo the brands in your area that have excellent dealer suppport. Then go from there. What might be good for you might not be for someone else. There are pros and cons to gas and diesel. You'll have to decide which fits your needs best. Just whatever you get, make sure it has enough HP. I would think 30+ HP in gas and 27+ HP in diesel.