Which zero turn mower to get??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Smith Lawn & Landscaping, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, im new to the site and to the lawn care business.I always wanted to start my own just didn't think it could happen. Until recently me and a buddy of mine decided to go for it. So far so good we only have 10 yards but thats cause we both work full-time else where. To make a long story short im debating on a zero turn mower for the starting spring season and its between the hustler fast track w/ the 32inch deck or the john deere with the 38inch from home depot. Ive heard great things about the hustler mowers and then again im skeptical on buying a mower from home depot. I know that generally all the mowers there are for home use only any help and wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks...

2. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to buy a Z buy a commercial grade one. Its much more expensive but in the long run its worth it. Personally I would not use a 32 inch Z as in my opinion the cut quality will be poor and you might as well get a 36inch walk behind.

3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I agree, a good WB. will be more productive for you. Unless you are cutting a few acres at a time. Plus WB. are safer on hills.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't even consider the homeowner stuff from Home Depot. It wont hold up. You will have constant breakdowns, one right after the other. As others have said, get a 36" WB, maybe even with a sulky to make the job even easier.

5. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using a Deere Z425 since May on my 11 yards and I love it. I would not reccomend buying one from Home Depot though... go to the dealer.

A used WB may be a better choice for you though. Look ahead to the future, not just today.

6. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

As EVERYONE on here will tell you. If you spend the money
    now, you will have the investment later. You will waste your
    money if you buy anything but commercial equipment. Many
    of us have tried, I lost thousands. Save your money and buy
    a commercial wb if you are worried about the initial cost.

7. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Thanks for all the opinions, it has saved me from making a mistake. So far im just running an old encore pro model walk behind its a 32inch cut, I have a lot of customers with small fences and the walk behind fits perfect. For my bigger yards i got a 2004 craftsman riding mower for now. But from what everyone has been telling me from dealers to members i think im goin with the hustler mini "z" with the 42inch deck. Hustler has a really good warranty and replacement standard.

8. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

If your looking for commercial grade entrance, I would consider home depot only for echo equipment. The SRM-230 trimmer (dont waste your money on the SRM-210). I would also get a handheld echo blower.

9. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent advice on the walk behinds. Look don't rush out and spend 5-6 on a ZTR because all the rigs you see have them. Lots of LCOs running around with 10 - 20 yards and a $8,000 mower financed. Don't make sense to me. 1. Buy a good commercial mower sounds like you already have one. 2. Put money aside monthly for a future purchase. 3. decide on a level of business (# of accounts) where it benefits you to have more productivity (ZTR). 4. Go pay cash for it. 5. This way you don't over extend your self.

10. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

It makes perfect sense, so as of right now just stick with the walk-behind and the riding mower? until business really picks up then make the purchase for what fits ur accounts and clients?