Which Zero Turn Mower???

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by SMRLAWNCARE, May 18, 2007.

1. SMRLAWNCARE

SMRLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I mow about 10 lawns a week. They are typically .5 acre lots... terrian varies from flat and smooth to steep and rough. Some customers want their lawns mowed once every 2 weeks so the grass can get pretty thick and high.
    I want a ZTR that can power through the high grass at full speed and cut it like I was going slow. I am only looking for about a 42"-48" deck.
    Please help...

2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend checking out Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle series. During my research, I found them to have higher HP than most other brands. The LT2500-44D might fit you needs.

http://www.dixiechopper.com/models_SE.php

I just picked up a Dixie Chopper LT2700-60D, and man, what a machine. My grass hadn't been cut at all this season, because my old mower was down waiting on a part.

It took probably 2 to 3 times as long as it should have to get thru my yard, but then again the grass was at least 12" tall in places. Despite the grass length and thickness, she just kept gobbling it up. Now I got a whole lot of raking to do!

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Demo machines in your area. Dealer support is crucial in this business. As important as mower selection.

4. FCLCinMaine

FCLCinMaine LawnSite Member

Definatly Dixie. Check out the one I have for sale...

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I use my Turf Tiger with the new Velocity Plus deck just for that purpose. With a big block Briggs it is a beast in thick grass and leave a very good cut. The 29 efi Kaw would be another option but the Briggs is hard to beat power wise.

A John Deere 797 could also handle the task. Both the Scag and the JD have the right type of decks to handle 2 week lawns. You said steep so that rules out Dixie which doesn't have the best reputation in steep area's while the Turf Tiger has about the best reputation in steep area's for a ZTR. You wouldn't believe how much grass that Velocity plus deck can take down in a single swipe. I don't know about Dixies cut in heavy grass but I do know there are those that don't like them on hills. Not knocking Dixie, they just have a higher center of gravity than the Scag Turf Tiger. Plus you get the suspension seat with the Scag.

6. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing against your choices, but they don't fall within the scope of the original poster's specs of 42"-48" deck size only. He would need to look at a Scag Tiger Cub, or JD717/727 to get a more accurate, apples-to-apples comparison. Although he doesn't mention budget, I think he'll find that both the Scag and JD are significantly more expensive. The 60"-61" models (my spec) were $1.5k to $2k more than the Dixie LT with 4 less ponies under the hood.

Also, I've never understood this talk about ZTRs and hills. Haven't most manufacturers changed their designs over the years to improve safety and stability on hills? Does any manufacturer recommended driving across a slope?

My property does have a couple gradually increasing but short slopes (6'-10') near the road. I'd say it varies from 0' elevation at the driveway to close to 6' by the time you get to edges. With about 300' of frontage, it's not really feasible to cut this up and down for the whole length.

I mowed mine the other day with my DC across it for the two passes necessary during the perimeter mowing without much issue, with the exception of the steepest 10'-15' which I did mow in the up direction. Admittedly, it did require a little more stick on the downhill wheel to maintain a straight line, but certainly not that severe. Nor did I at any time feel as if the machine was the least bit unstable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that DC is the best thing since sliced bread, but I think there could be a lot of dis-information floating around about them.

I'd also be interested in your source for lower center of gravity.