1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which zt lawnmower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jbsimerly, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jbsimerly

jbsimerly LawnSite Member

I am going to try to get a couple of resedental yards to mow this year to help make some extra money when i am not working going to use my income tax money to get a good mower. i am going to have a limited budget probably looking in the range of $2500 to $3000 what are your recomandations for me and should i be looking at a zt or a wide area walk behind with a sulky as i live in the mountains of east tn also i am a big guy 350 pounds would a sulky carry me
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Extra money eh? McDonalds is still hiring aren't they?
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

^Exactly, plently of other things you can do to make extra money that would be a lot easier.
  4. MeanGreenGuy

MeanGreenGuy LawnSite Member

In other words, don't be a "Scrub" and buy a mower for 3k, do a few yards and make 500 bucks, go flip a double cheese burg.

Read around here how much they hate people like you lol.

Good luck.
  5. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, sorry for the less than warm welcome to LawnSite! Really, there are some very very helpful people here and there are some people who enjoy internet jiving.

Look in the FREE Marketplace forum here on LawnSite and check out a few of the used ZTR's. Don't cheap out for a new Craftsman, go for a used commercial brand.

In a rough order of the best Commercial ZTR brands:

1) Exmark
    2) Hustler
    3) Scag
    4) Bad Boy
    5) Bob Cat
    6) Ferris

If you pick up any of these, you will be happy.
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

this is kind of a wierd question, your buying used on a limited budget. so, i reccomend searching in your price range for the cleanest, lowest hour commerical machine. all mowers cut grass, its prefference nothing wrong with doing this on the side. even 5 lawns @ $50 a pop, thats $250 a week, $1000 a month, that mower will be paid and then some by the end of the year. who knows, it might roll into a full time job
  7. jbsimerly

jbsimerly LawnSite Member

thanks to all that gave advise i really thank you and for the others some how i doubt that me getting a couple of my neighbors to let me mow there yard for them is going to hurt anyones business sorry if i somehow insulted you but oh well and the way i look at it if i can find 3 yards a week at $50 a pop that will make me a lot more than mcdonalds
  8. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'd rather be out doing lawn work than flipping burgers anyday!
  9. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

IF your gonna do it, do it right. People don't like the no insurance, cash only operations that flood this industry. As for Micky D's, id rather push mow yards all day to make the same coin being stuck in one of those places!
  10. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

A walkbehind mower sulky may damage the lawn with 350 lbs on it, but a larger (48+" or so) dual hydro walkbehind shouldn't have much of a problem pulling you as long as you get off when you encounter moderate to steep hills. Any used commercial riding mower in your price range would probably be unreliable.

Here are some commercial quality brands (almost any of these will do well on your turf):
    John Deere