1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which ZTR - Cub, ExMark, JD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mattbluemont, Jun 9, 2004.

1. mattbluemont

mattbluemont LawnSite Member

I've searched and seen some info on all of these on this board, but i wanted to ask the experts the direct question. I'm a homeowner, have about 4 acres, with some ruts, but not many, and plan to mow once/week. slight grade to most of the yard, mostly wide open.

Cub 50" residential ZTR - $3K w/ B&S
    ExMark 60" Lazer Z - $7500-7900, depending on engine/HP
    JD 48" is $7500 i'm told, although haven't researched them enough.

I hate to pay double for the exMark, although I believe it's a better machine, based on what i've read. But my question is, will the Cub suffice or do i need to pay double in order to mow once/week for about 5 mos/year??

Thanks guys,
  2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

We have a old 1985 cub garden tractor from when it was owned by case international. The only thing the new cubs and the old cubs have in commen is the name. But who knows you might get five years out of your cub maybe 7, or 20 with your exmark.
  3. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

I am also looking into the cub ztr...just steer away from the homeowner version...I have a 48 inch walkbehind that I really like...stripes well and is built like a tank.

MTD has 0% for 36 months so I am going to go down that road. I would demo all machines before you buy so you can really compare them.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

right, He's comparing a residential model to a full commercial model, of course the exmark should last longer, put it against a comparable commercial, its a toss up.

search my posts, you will see what a junk, crap cub/lesco/mtd mower can cut like.
    I'll get some more cub stripes on soon.
  5. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

One other little thought you might consider, as a homeowner. a sub compact utility tractor. John Deere and Kubota make fine small tractors complete with loaders and three point hitches. Mows your yard plus gives you more options. this is the route I went. John Deere even has a line of tractors with no loaders but do have three point hitches. I was really impressed witht the way my little kubota pulled the box scraper. Pricey tho.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Did you check Hustler Mini Z 52" with 23 Kawi? It can be had for about six grands down here and it is fully commercial cutter bit cheaper than eXmark but comparable quality. Hustler probably lasts you forever and you might cut neighbors ' grass as sideline with that Hustler.
  7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

8. mattbluemont

mattbluemont LawnSite Member

Thanks Phishook - I just called those guys in Winchester and are quoting me $4899 (including a 700RB rebate) for the 52" deck w/ 20HP Honda engine. So last question then re: the Hustler FasTrak - although it's a 'residential' mower, it sounds like it has many "commercial" qualities about it - and i have less to worry about it falling apart like i might w/ a cub ZTR? That price differnece of 1800 is a bit easier to swallow vs. a $4000 price difference b/n the cub and exmark.

Thanks again - all good info - what a great board.

9. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I am also a home owner with a large lawn. Took delivery of a full size Hustler Z, 25 Kawasaki and 60" deck a few weeks ago. Except for buying this house that was the best decision I have made in a long time. I love this thing - my grass cutting time (use to cut with a Gravely 8122, 50" deck) has gone from 3+ hours to just over 1 hour and my grass looks 10x better than it ever did. I have to admit that I do not know alot about the Fastrack but I would seriously consider the mini Z. Talk to your Hustler dealer and get them to let you demo both. Cut the yard once with the fastrack, paying particular attention to the time it took to cut, the quality of the cut, etc. and do the same with the mini Z. Then make a decision. One of the biggest factors for me was time savings. If I could get a faster cut with a full size over a mini that meant alot to me and was worth some extra $. Also, I am the kind of person that keeps a car for 10+ years and well over 100,000 miles before I buy a new one. I expect to have this mower for 20+ years and the way the mini and full size Z's are built I think that will happen. The Fastrack is going to have a useful life less than that and when I divided the extra $ over 20+ years it really did not come out to be alot of coin. Although I have no experience with the other brands I cannot recommend Hustler enough. Good luck!
  10. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

The cub we have is close to 20 years old. You could by a higher end john deer lawn tractor and if taken care of will last 20 years or more for a home owner. And you would spend about the same as the cub Z, and have a tractor you can run attachments, and do all kinds of work around the yard.