Which ZTR for the home

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Elevatn, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Elevatn

Elevatn LawnSite Member

I am looking at the Gravely PM44Z and the Exmark Laxer Z 44". I haven't gotten prices yet I was hoping to stay at or below $5k. Any suggestions on what to get. I have 2 acres to cut and my little MTD just played out on me (thank goodness). It took about 3 hours to cut. I was going to wait until spring to get a ZTR, but since I am down to nothing now is a good time to buy and my grass is getting tall as we speak. LOL

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I like eXmark, great customer service, parts program, and warranty. Which model Lazer Z are you looking at, that will influence price.
    Lazer Z Ct: 44" , 18hp Briggs
    Lazer Z HP: 44" , 19hp Kawi

I love the Kawi engine on mine. Good Luck. I don't know if any of these fall into your price ranges at all but, Good Luck, hope it helps.

3. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Take a look at the Hustler FasTrak at Deviney's Euipment in Jackson or Fredericks in Brandon. Great unit and in the price range you are looking. Plus a four year warranty on the FasTrac for homeowners.

4. Elevatn

Elevatn LawnSite Member

I haven't priced any of the Exmarks yet, going to look at them tomorrow. I would rather have the Kawi over the Briggs though. I will check out the Hustler's also. I don't know much about any ZTRs. I just want something fairly easy to maintenance and something that will last for years with little problems.

5. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

I was looking at both of these units also. Gravely was $4999 and Exmark was just over 6k( asking $6499) on Lazer HP.
    Exmark was better equipped, but maybe not 1k++ worth, your call.
    I picked up a 2005 Gravely PM34Z for $3100 off E-Bay with 77 hours and that worked for my needs.
    Currently there is an Exmark 44" Lazer HP listed at a good price with low hours if you are close enough to go get it.
    Happy hunting!

6. Elevatn

Elevatn LawnSite Member

Picked up the Gravely 44Z yesterday. Put 2.5 hours on it, so far it is awesome.

7. jayvee53

jayvee53 LawnSite Member

Here's my two cents worth. First of all, I'm not a professional, just a guy who spent a lot of time researching my purchase trying to get the best mower for my situation and the best value...not necessarily the cheapest. I, too have about two acres, some on sloping land. I demo'd the Exmark, Dixon, two Gravelys, John Deere, Ferris, Country Clipper, Kubota and finally a Hustler. This this took me about a month and my wife was threatening to have me committed for a personality disorder. I decided on the Hustler Fastrak with a 20 hp Honda and a 52 inch deck. After all of this research, the decision was really very easy ONCE I got on and tried the Hustler. I saved several hundred dollars for a machine that I believe has a great brand engine in Honda, it is comfortable and has a nice ride, and according to what you read from the pro's on this site and the input regarding customer service, it was a pleasure to write the check. I highly recommend you check one out before deciding!

8. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=jayvee53]Here's my two cents worth. First of all, I'm not a professional, just a guy who spent a lot of time researching my purchase trying to get the best mower for my situation and the best value...not necessarily the cheapest. I, too have about two acres, some on sloping land. I demo'd the Exmark, Dixon, two Gravelys, John Deere, Ferris, Country Clipper, Kubota and finally a Hustler. This this took me about a month and my wife was threatening to have me committed for a personality disorder. I decided on the Hustler Fastrak with a 20 hp Honda and a 52 inch deck. After all of this research, the decision was really very easy ONCE I got on and tried the Hustler. I saved several hundred dollars for a machine that I believe has a great brand engine in Honda, it is comfortable and has a nice ride, and according to what you read from the pro's on this site and the input regarding customer service, it was a pleasure to write the check. I highly recommend you check one out before deciding![/QUOTE]
    You were luckier then me. Hard to get demo's here.
    Was only able to demo the Scag 36".
    The Gravely PM34Z has been a great unit for my needs with it's speed and agility making up for it's size deficiencies.
    It's footprint needed to be small to fit my storage and transportation so it worked out well for me.
    Congrads Elevatn! Hope you enjoy.

9. CoRezmower

CoRezmower LawnSite Member

Definitely consider Hustler. Just bought a MiniFastrak 16/42 and love it. I mow about 1/2 acre of lawn and 3/4 acre of field grass. It's fast, cuts great, and has a great warranty for a residential mower. Demo several mowers on your property and then choose which you like best. If the dealer won't let you demo it on your property then go somewhere else. Several neighbors and friends have commented on how good our lawn looks since we bought it. We had the same thing happen, had an old MTD that died and I don't think I could ever mow with a regular lawn tractor again. Hustler makes a great product and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Ours ran us 4k. Also check out the Hustler sponsor forum on this site.

10. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

ditto Corezmower. i too have a mini fasttrak. mine is the 17/42. outstanding mower. great cut, great warranty, great factory support ( go to the hustler forum on this site), fast, reliable. you may want to step up to a fastttrak model for your acreage. however, i do know that my mft will cut 1.6 acres in about 1 hr 15 min. with a fair amount of landscaping to cut around and the pumps are rated for 800 duty hrs. they can be had for about $3200. good luck and remember to DEMO!!!!!!!!!