1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which ZTR Gravely or Scag???-1st post

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluffman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

Greetings. I am a frustrated homeowner mowing about 2-1/2 acres in Minnesota. I have been using a Deere 425 GT with a 54" deck. I mow high and often, most of the lawn is nice sunny mix premium. I get lots of clumping and windrowing, even when grass is dry although once its cut it seems a little wet. This is 100% of the time. The entire lawn gets sun all the time. I tried a Deere MC 519 collection cart with a powerflo and it clogged again due to the consistently damp grass. Keeping the chute up helps but only minimally. I am fairly sure that a good commercial ZT may be the way to go. I have narrowed it down to a 2006 Gravely 152M with a Kohler 23HP Command/X-factor 52" deck etc (model 991024) or a Scag Tiger cub "promo" model with a 48" deck and a Briggs ELS 24HP. The Scag is $6000. The Gravely is $5800. Exmark Lazer ZHP is too spendy and the Toro and Deere units are more also. Using $6000. as a limit, these seem to be the best units. Is engine choice an issue for a guy who will only use this thing a few hours per week? Any help will be appreciated. THANKS
  2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked at Everide, Husqvarna or Dixon all have tunnel decks which

does better in wet grass. I have a Toro 52" Classic w a tunnel deck. works well on wet grass. Ed
  3. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would try an Exmark but next to that I would get a Scag.
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am not a fan of either, but I would say go with a Scag over the Gravely. I have owned both and the Scag was the better machine by far. I run Hustler now and love them. You may consider running double blades. It should help with the cut and discharge of the clippings.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Scags good,you know you never hear no bad on hustler, i have never been on one.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Please scag better than gravely? I think not. Not from our experiance with both machines. And run double blades? Yeah go ahead and destroy those $200 blade clutches and put that extra stress on the spindles. Not very smart.

Sorry if I came off a little rude sounding but our experiance is 100% the opposite from yours. We have owned Gravely mowers and scags and the Gravely has always cut better. Both mowers are quality built but they dont compare in the cut department.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This must be a rare exception....Gravely is not built anywhere close in structure to a Scag unit. In particular take a look at the Scag hydro WB and compare size of arms, clutches, spindles, etc.....scag is much much heavier. Gravely would not hold up to crews in the field they would eat it up in the first year. Their new little 34 rider is not doing well in our market, cheap but isn't lasting. I am not saying it isn't commericial level ...they are just not Scag quality and reliability level. You had a Scag lemon.
  8. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I think that between the two you noted in your post.....the 2006 Gravely 152 would be a better buy for the money. If you were looking at a 2007 Gravely 152 then it would be more of a toss up. The 2007 Gravely now comes with a cheaper PTO clutch...I'm not sure if they cheapened anything else. But the Scag Tiger Cub in the promo version for $200.00 more than the Gravely....no, not me. I too feel Scag makes some of the best machines, but I wouldn't class their promo Tiger Cub as one of their best machines.
  9. Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

I'm trying to get a spec sheet from Gravely on the 152 so I can really compare. I don't have any Everide or Dixon dealers around. One dealer about 100 miles away sells Scag and Hustler but Gravely and Scag dealers are close. That is also a consideration.
  10. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure to get a 2006 spec sheet to see what you are looking at. Gravely changed some things in 2007 in the non XDZ series to keep from raising prices....made them with some cheaper parts. I have the 2006 Gravely brochure and would be more than glad to post any info you may want to ask if it is in here. I did notice that you stated the one you were looking at had a 23HP Kohler. My brochure shows a 23HP Kawasaki or a 25HP Kohler for the 2006 152Z. It shows a Warner 200 ft/lb PTO Clutch. Hydro-Gear 10cc with one cooling fan and Parker TF 15ci wheel motors. Speed 0-10mph forward and 0-5mph reverse.