Which ZTR Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WaimeaTigerCub, Jul 21, 2008.

1. WaimeaTigerCub

WaimeaTigerCub LawnSite Member

Hi, I am new to this site and I would appreciate any help that I can get.

I want to start a residential and maybe commercial lawn mowing business on the Big Island of Hawaii, more specificly, North hawaii,Waimea, Waikoloa maybe ...some other areas latter. I have a regular cab base model Tacoma pickup with a 6ft bed and newly installed tow hitch. I am looking at 5x8 folding Costco Trailer and a Scag Tiger Cub.
    I was sure about the Tiger until I told someone that it comes with a Briggs engine. This guy started laughing and said that I Dont Want that Engine it is problematic at is not what someone who is going commericial would want to have. He suggested a Kawasaki or Honda motor.
    The Problem is that KM Seed in Waimea which is about 15 miles from me, only sells Scags with Briggs engines.
    The guy also said that if I am doing residential that I should go with a 36 inch Z-Cat in order to get through gates and things like that. Said that most people don't have acre lots in Waimea or Waikoloa (which might be true) and that the Z is all I need. I am going to get a walk behind anyway but I don't want to use it any more than I need to. What do you think about that? should I go with the 36 Z-cat which cuts grass slower and hope I don't outgrow it until I am making some real money? The Z does not have a Briggs engine.
    I another thing to consider is that I dont have any customers yet, havn't printed out business cards or Flyers or anything like that. Would really appereciate any advice, Willing to change my Lawsite handle if you think that Z is all I need.:)