Which ZTR to buy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MichiganMike, Mar 31, 2007.

1. MichiganMike

MichiganMike LawnSite Member

I have 8 acres to mow and have just begun looking at ZTR Gas and Diesel mowers. I've ruled out the lower end units and have been focusing on SCAG Tiger 52", Kubota's Diesel Models and the front cutting Grasshoppers. I realize I'm a weekend warrior but sure could use some help from those of you who are the pro's and know which units are worth buying and why. I am looking to have this mower last me as long as possible for the money and low maintenance is key as well as the quality of the cut.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the wildcat,the front mount grasshoppers are to long they are 10 feet,kubota's are over priced.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

What brands are in your local aera? Ask around as to which dealers offer good service. How flat and open are your 8 acres. The bigger the deck the sooner you get done. Don't belive the acre per hour ads you see from any brands. It doesn't happen.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

All are fine choices. The length of the front mounts is not a big deal if you're not transporting. Is this 8 acres at your home?

Either way, most dealers will let you demo each one. If they don't, that would rule that model out for me. Dealer support is a pretty big factor on a lawn mower that costs more than a decent used car.:)
  5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a really good site for mower reviews. It's helped me with a lot of purchasing decisions.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

MichiganMike -- Have you thought about Dixon ZTR's ? There are several Dixon dealers pretty close to you ... I understand about wanting a commercial grade machine ... I have a Dixon RAM MAG 50" ZTR, I would recommend that or a Dixon Kodiak ZTR for your property. Good Luck !!
  7. MichiganMike

MichiganMike LawnSite Member

Thank you for your post, I will look at the Dixon, I haven't seem them rated anywhere though.
  8. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad Boy, just demoed one today. Build quality and price there is absolutely no comparison. Here is my ongoing post with some good info and my feedback on the mower. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=177861

You can pick up a 72" diesel w/35hp Cat diesel for about $12.5K Smaller decks are also available. You can easily be under 10K with a gas alternative. Check them out as I'm sure you will be blown away. There are a couple dealers in MI as well. I actually checked them out at the Michigan Green show a couple weeks back. PM me if you need additional details, I actually spoke to their newest dealer outside of Detroit and they were fantastic to deal with.
  9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Length can be a big factor even if you are not transportiing. Where are you going to store the unit?? Do you have enough room?
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

What you say is very true, but buying a 10' mower instead of a 6' mower without thinking "where I'll keep it at the house"? To me, that's sort of a "gimme".:)