1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which ZTR to look at?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoyteePrince, Sep 7, 2005.

1. CoyteePrince

CoyteePrince LawnSite Member
    from 37742

Have couple houses (mine/father in laws, uncle in law) and a field, perhaps a couple acres.

I'm VERY over trying to cut my lawn and moreso, the field with my Scotts rider.

Like to get a ztr.

I want to get a diesel so I can keep the fuel the same for it, my backhoe & tractor.

I want a wider cut, not terribly concerned about that striping stuff, but i'm a bit intrigued by it at the same time.

I like the idea of the suspension on the Ferris.

I do NOT want to start any flame wars, so please help me in that regard.

With that said,

What brands might I want to investigate?

What are the pros/cons of Kubota, Ferris? OH, I forgot to add, I REALLY would like to get the hydraulic blade height like the Kubota has. In fact, I'm emotionally sold on the Kubota but don't want to screw up by missing out on the fact of the suspension on the Ferris (I REALLY LOVE that idea for the field that pounds me to death on my mower)

Thanks for any thoughts
  2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

How many acres total are we talking here? Do you want speed, comfort, or quality cut? What price range are you looking at? After that, we could probably tell you.
  3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Just saw that you said a couple of acres. I used to run a business with my Scotts mower 16 hp 42 incher. Worked great! Until I got my Exmark which could chew it up and spit it out.
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I will take delivery on my new Scag Turf Tiger 61" 29hp on Friday. They make a 31hp diesel with either a 61" or 72" deck. I have owned a Scag of some sort for 19 years. They are a very well built mower.
  5. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

lots of good ones out there prince; hustler has a cat likes ferris ; deere has yanmar . grasshopper has a great ride; ALMOST as good as the ferris; with a kubota 22hp deisel; mid mount or out front deck and hydralic lift. the kubotas are great too; my neigbor down the road has the zd25 with a 60" deck. check out the grasshoppers with the 22 hp kubota and the bigger 400 series with the 28-30hp range
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like you need a IS4500 Ferris. 28 hp CAT, 61" deck, and front wheel independent suspension and rear wheel active preformance suspension. What does that mean? The smoothest riding machine on the market period. I've run one so I should know. Also the quality of cut that ferris delivers is excellent and they don't scalp as much because the deck is carried by the suspension.
  7. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a grasshopper, dixie, and ferris, and demoed an exmark. I bought the IS4500 ferris 61" with the 28 hp cat and all I can say is wow!!! I love this machine. the suspension is what sold me when I firts demoed it. If you demoe one you will love it. I have about 25 acres of VERY VERY bumpy old pastures that I do each week (not all at one place, a total of about 5 properties). With in the first minute of the demo, not even cutting grass, I knew it was for me. the IS is like driving a big ole 80's cadilac over the field, it just floated, very awsome. The cut is aslo very nice, much better than the dixie. good luck
  8. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't even see travis's post becasuse I was typing and messing around with mine, how about that, nice choice travis.
  9. CoyteePrince

CoyteePrince LawnSite Member
    from 37742

Thanks everyone!

I posted a reply earlier while at office but my browser ended up with a "IE not responding" error where I locked up

I WAS intrigued by the Ferris but frankly, since I know nothing about any of these machines, didn't want to buy it & it have a dog engine or some other odd thing.

I've seen the Kubota (liked it), Deere (felt too expensive), and only seen the Scag/Dixon (Dixie Chopper?).

I'll look around for the Ferris dealer, I know there's one here.

10. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Boy makes a very tough and easy to maintain model with Cat diesel. Not only are their machines outstanding, but they are affordable and made by a great company to deal with. You can look on their website to see if they have a dealer near you. They are at: www.badboymowers.com.

Good luck in your choice.