1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which ZTR to purchase?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by akridge6, Mar 16, 2007.

1. akridge6

akridge6 LawnSite Member

I have about 2 acres with a slight slope and then one area that has about a 30 degree gradient. I am looking at either a Ferris IS500Z, Hustler Mini Z 48", or an Exmark Quest 48". I am not sure what to purchase. I will mow about once a week and would like to get something that has plenty of power and can do a very good job of mulching. I am located in MO so we get plenty of rain as well. Thank you for the help.
  2. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I would go with the ferris or hustler. And out of those two I prefer the Huslter. Both are good quality commercial machines with good cuts. The Quest is made more for the homeowner to keep the price down. The Hustler has a more simple design which has less to go wrong with it. I was looking at both of those as well but ended up an everride warrior for the same price (closeout). For two acres, you should have no problem at all getting done in about 30-45 minutes and have a commerical unit that will last you 20 years.
  3. akridge6

akridge6 LawnSite Member

Thank you for the info. Do you know how well the Hustler does with mulching?
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried out either of the machines? If not I would go test drive both and see which one feels better to you and make your decision and how it feels to you since you'll be the one operating it
  5. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I'm sure the Hustler does good with mulching. They are not one of the top commerical lawn mowing companys for no reason. Hopefully someone with a Mini Z with a mulch kit replies for that answer.