Which ZTR & WB to buy ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, May 20, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in the mode to buy a Walk behind and a ZTR, I will as soon as I line up a couple more commercial accounts! I was thinking Exmark really hard but my favorite dealer is now pushing me to demo Toro and Ferris ZTR's ! He still thinks I should buy a 36" Super Surfer instead of a 32 or 36 Walkbehind. He sells Bobcat, Cub Cadet, Great Dane, Ferris, Toro, John Deere, and Honda. He says the Ferris is a better machine than the rest including the Exmark or Hustler. He also says the Toro deck is better than the Exmark deck. He says I will have more problems with scalping on the 60 to 62" decks than the 52" decks. So I have a couple of questions. Which to buy ? I can't get the Exmark dealer to do a demo on my properties. The dealer I am talking about says when the time is really close he will come and demo a Ferris as well as have the Toro Rep meet us so I can do a side by side demo of the two. The Exmark dealer would love to do a demo but he won't travel the 225 miles to do so ! The Rep from the dealer who sells the 7 different brands came up here 2 years ago to demo the Great Danes, That showed me that they are willing to go out of their way to help. The Exmark dealer says that that dealer is only coming to demo here because he has 75% of the market there wrapped up with Exmarks. What should I buy ? I was thinking also about Hustler but I can't get the Hustler dealer to even spend anytime on the phone let alone get a demo. Besides he has never even seen a Hustler Commercial mower !

I need a 32" or 36" Walkbehind.
    I will need a ZTR before the year is over !

I hate to buy without trying something before I buy it but everyone seems to think Exmark is the way to go !

What should I do ! Keep in mind that both dealers are over 200 miles away and I can't get any dealers closer than that to do anything ! The Exmark dealer that 75 miles away wants over $500 more for the same WB and over $1000 for the same ZTR!
    HELP !

2. Turf Dancer

Help Please I am stuck on this one ! I do have three other dealers close! Scag, John Deere and MTD Pro. But again they won't demo a machine because they don't have them to demo ! They have to order it with your deposit of course !

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok this is easy. If a dealer cannot provide you with a demo on YOUR properties, then look some where else.

How else will you know if the machines will REALLY perform, unless you get to demo it there?

Next thing, sounds like your dealer is giving you the old car salesman trick about which is better. I have Exmark and love them. I see more Scag here than anything else.

If I had to buy again, and could not get Exmark....... I would look to Hustler first, then Scag. But, if the dealer could not provide a demo I would go on to another place, even if it meant getting another brand.

Most commercial mowers are all about the same. You find a dealer that wants to work with you first, then choose the brand. If the dealer makes problems now before he gets your money, whats it gonna be like after.....especially when you have a problem?

All just my thoughts!

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

i agree 100%. A good supporting dealer makes all the differance. If they don't know their stuff or won't service you right, then walk. Next comes the brand.

My preferances are Exmark, then Hustler. I hate large Honda mowers.

Toro decks are in NO way better than Exmark. Toro may own Exmark, but look who makes the tractor portion of the ZTR for Toro. Exmark does. now who has the better machine?

Scot

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I can't get the Exmark dealer to do a demo on my properties

Thats why I don't buy exmarks, I could'nt either and who knows there probably good mowers, LOL. thats why I bought cubs. I also have a 48" MTD Pro hydro.

mvc-012s.jpg

6. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

do you like the mtd pro?

7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i bought the hustler super z 27 kohler 60" cut.. love it!

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

its ok if your into w/b's, but can put the 60" just about the same places. Have had no problems with it.

9. Turf Dancer

I can only get a demo from a dealer who sells machines that are not on the overall top 3 of ZTR or Walk behind machines! This dealer is 210 miles away. I want Exmarks but can't get a demo!
    The scag dealer is 45 miles away but he doesn't have a machine to show me ! The Exmark dealer 75 miles from me wants big dollar differences over the Exmark dealer that is 225 miles away !
    I was thinking Exmark, Hustler, or Ferris! But hey if Hustler and Exmark can't find better dealers than that up here than I guess I can go buy a few throw away mowers and run them till they drop ! That is what Exmark gets for allowing a John Deere store to sell their product! I went to talk to them and all they wanted to talk about was Walker and John Deere !