Which ZTR?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by clilly, Dec 7, 2007.

1. clilly

clilly LawnSite Member

I have for the past 5 years mowed my 13 acre lawn with a tractor and a 72" finishing mower. The problem is the trees, landscaping,pond and other obstacles. These areas I am mowing with a 42" hydrostactic Snapper. This year I would like to entertain a ZTR no more than a 50" cut, because of the tight places. the ZTR will be mowing close to two acres every other week on Bahigrass. Speed is everything I want to get done. These are the dealers we have in a 40 mile radius Exmark,Scag, Toro,Kubota,Hustler,Dixie Chopper,John Deere,and Bush Hog. The engines are also a choice please arrange them in the less maintenence order. Briggs and Stratton, Kohler,Honda and Kawasaki

2. TCEminowicz

TCEminowicz LawnSite Member

A lot of people will tell you Dixie Chopper is the fastest. The key to consider is not just which mower is the fastest, but which dealer is going to be able to service you the best. You may feel the Dixie Chopper is a better mower, but if the dealer doesn't have the parts you need or service department to keep you up and running, you will be very frustrated with your mower. That being said, here are my thoughts on those mowers.

Scag is built like a tank. They are very durable. However they are very expensive as well. eXmark will probably give youthe best quality of cut. Toro gives you a great product and usually you get very good support from a dealer on Toro. John Deere is expensive to maintain.

On the engine side B&S makes a good engine. They often have a bad reputation though on the homeowner side of the business. If you get a Vanguard engine from B&S it is a good commercial engine that is manufactured by someone else and private labeled for B&S. Kawasaki seems to be a low maintenance engine, but when you need to fix it, the parts are usually not as easy to find though. Kohler makes a good engine and in the southeast the parts are usually readily available.

One other brand to consider if you have a dealer near you is Bad Boy Mowers. They are an up and coming line that is a great value to the end user. They are typically 10-15% less expensive than other national brands. They are made in Batesville, AR. If you have a dealer near you, it is worth a look. Their website is www.badboymowers.com. If you find that you don't have a dealer near you, you can call me and I'll get someone from the factory to get in touch with you to show you a mower. I feel certain their is a dealer near you if you are in LA. They have a pretty good presence in that state.

3. rundm

rundm LawnSite Member

very good choice to go with is the bad boy mower. The poster above is right. They are very much up and coming if not there yet and they are much less than the competition for what you get. They are fast and built like a tank. They cut grass well and are made from high quality parts. Do not be afraid of purchasing one of their products. RG

4. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

for homeuse the badboy probably would be a decent machine. Another machine that is hot in this area not only homeowner but also commercial is Country Clipper! In my opinion probably the best kept secret on the market. Also Encore is strong here!

5. WREBELMACHINE

Your dixie will most likely have a generac engine on it! Another good engine just thirsty on fuel!

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my Scag Tiger Cub. As mentioned, they're expensive, but ALL of the ones mentioned are expensive (Bad Boy is cheaper). I like the Scag because it's built tough, and it's the easiest to service. Also, you can find a lot of parts for it on Ebay and other sources.

7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked extensively to find the best mower for myself and pulled the trigger on the Bad Boy Lightning 52" with Kawi LC engine and foot assist.
    If you want speed and a great quality, it's the best deal you can find...:weightlifter:

8. clilly

clilly LawnSite Member

The bad boy mower is it considered commercial or home owner use. The amount of land that I'm keeping up is more than the average homeowner. If I do consider the Badboy has anyone had one more than a couple of years? What is the maintenence like? What engine did you choose?

9. WREBELMACHINE

What price range are you thinking?

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad Boy mowers are 100% commercial grade.
    Even their entry level mower (commercial/home owner oriented) has a 7 gauge steel fabricated deck while their other models have 1/4" thick steel fabricated decks.
    All their engines are commercial grade and range from 23HP to 35HP.
    Check out their web site and go see them, no doubt you'll be impressed :)