1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which ZTR?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by acdame, Aug 24, 2002.

1. acdame

acdame LawnSite Member
    from mi

I am going to replace my 42 inch craftsman with a ZTR. It is taking about 1.5 hrs to mow 1.5 acres. I would like to get down to about 40 minutes. How big of a machine would I need and how fast should it travel?

The two models that I am considering are the new CountryClipper JAZee or the Hustler Fastrac. I am going to demo the countryclipper on Thursday.

I dont know if I should by one of the more commercial units, or stick with the residential ones. I know that speed is a factor. Also, I noticed that on the "resi" cheaper models, the pump and wheel motor are one unit...This could be a servicing nightmare.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the hustlers are very nice. I would get a Mini Z and if not then a fastrak.

3. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

acdame -

I was in the exact situation as you and also considered the Fastrak. Compared to all other homeowner units available, the Fastrak seemed to be much more solidly built. I really don't think you'd go wrong there, and the price (around $4600 for 18/52 model) isn't bad. I kept looking for a used commercial model, preferrably Exmark or Toro. Just before I was ready to break down and buy a new Fastrak, I found a used Exmark Lazer HP, 48" with 19 hp Kaw, 100 hours, for $3800. I jumped on it and have been happy as pig in s**t. I also cut 1.5 acres and have more than cut my time in half.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more info on the areas I searched and models I looked at. Good luck!