Which ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jayandlo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I'm looking for a ZTR, my first. I've found two demos, both are '04 models. The first is a 61" Toro. The second is a 48" Exmark. The price on the Toro is 6400.00. The Exmark is 5400.00. I was thinking that bigger is better, but the dealer that is selling the Exmark claims that mowers with a cutting width of 60 or more inches are prone to scalping. What do you guys think?

2. tazz6584

tazz6584 LawnSite Member

It really depends on the type of properties that you are looking to maintain.For me i use 52" exmark and they seem to work the best. The 52 has the offset on one side of the deck which helps with trimming if you are doing smaller properties. The 61" would save time if you are only doing large properties.The larger the deck the more scalping you will do on uneven surfaces.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The Toro sounds like a good deal for $6400 but it really depends on several things. How many hours it has, which engine it has, does it have full warranty, has it been run hard and abused, is the dealer a good dealer? Those are all things you should consider when looking at demo machines. I have heard good things about the Turbo Froce deck that is on the Toro's. Hope that helps.

4. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

The Toro only has about 180 hrs. I'm really concerned with whether that large of a deck is prone to scalping.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you should ask yourself "which best fits my need?". A 61" deck mower is a big hoss. Very productive on wide areas, but it is heavy and any deck that is wide will not handle terrain undulations as well as a smaller one as a general rule. It may also cause more turf damage if making frequent turns on small props, due to the weight and larger tires, though operator skill can probably minimize this.

You may find it too large for small/medium properties, and I can't tell you how many times I've squeezed my 48" through a gate or accross a thin patch of lawn where a bigger deck wouldn't have fit.

I run a 48" Exmark lazer hp and it handles most properties. Only on a small percentage of properties do I find myself wishing I had more deck. If you have a large 61" deck and find yourself doing properties where it is too big, you will lose productivity if you have to switch to a small walk behind.

The prices you gave are in the right range, though it depends on the engine and other features as well. Either the 20hp or 21hp engine on the 48" will do the job (I've owned both) though the 21hp kawi had to be replaced at 100 hrs on my newest one.

6. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Thanks for the repllies. They've been very informative.