while mowing ?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Earthworm75, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Earthworm75

Earthworm75 LawnSite Member

do u bag the clippings or just let them discharge on the lawn... i have seen diff companies and the same companies doing both~ if u bag do u charge more and with that said if u do bag dont u eventually run out of storage on trailer and bed of truck full of lawn clippings? lol may seem like a dumb ? but i have seen both methods done and by the same companies.. ur insight and suggestions are greatly appreciated ~
  2. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

WE bag yes we do charge more because of the extra time it takes. No we don't run out of room we use 4 65 gallon garbage cans.
  3. creeper

creeper LawnSite Member
    from Ga

We did both. Leaving clippings on lawn , good for lawn.

Bagging only on people who demanded it.

Charged more, but still a pain.

Luckily most people saw the light after I properly informed them.

Used 60 gallon green barrels from yard to yard. Leave it in the street and push it between the wheels to the next yard. Then dump it in the mason dump or the rack body.
  4. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually run the lawn and discharge the clippings with my ZTR. If there are noticable clumps of grass and the customer approves i will go over the bad spots with my standard mower with the bagger, and charge a few extra.
  5. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

when aquiring a new customer I will ask if they want it bagged or mulched and explain the difference to them if they ask. i will charge 5-10 dollars extra depending on how many bags i think i will use (40 gal bags) and also for the extra time that it takes. I live in louisiana, i dont know if they lawns are different staes, but all the lawns guys in their area, the sub-burbs of New Orleans, we bag and then leave the bag of clipping by the curb and let the garbage men pick it up. i never discharge clippings unless the yard is about 3 weeks tall or longer. if they want it mulched then i dont charge any extra.
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I do both, but bagging is extra $$
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

bOTH, BAGGING IS EXTRA. I just leave the bags at the curb.
  8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i mulch everything
  9. ballstar

ballstar Banned

I discharge, and adjust my fertilization to apply 1lb N less over the course of the year.
  10. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

i normally charge double to bag, its twice the work example: $35 no bag $70 with bag ......