1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whining in my deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Jul 18, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I have a problem with a whinning sound coming from my deck. Its 42" Ztr Geat Dane Mighty Compac 16hp "Youz don't have em in the states but you can see it on the Aussie site .greatdane.com.au

I have looked over the following. Have I missed anything?

*All spindalls moving freely and smoothly
    *All pully bearings are fine and smooth and free moving
    *All bushings in self ideler pivot points are greased and moving freely
    *And I have cheecked other parts like ideler springs and other metal on metal places for vibratioin and the like with no sucsess.

Yeh so its a not so high pitch whinning noise and It only starts doing this arfter 10 15 mins of cutting or once its up to certain temp maby? Any thoughts
  2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Pinnacle did you feel the underside of your ideler's to see if they are rideing the platform? Ive had that happen to me with a scag, was whinning something awful, also the wear on it was sharp as a razor..........Marks Mowing Service
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I had a loud whinning on my Toro Z last year and sounded exactly like a belt slipping or a spindle bearing fixing to go out, well i took it to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with it. Took it back home and i just happen to spin the front anti-scalp rollers and they just needed greased up and it quit. Might give that a try perhaps.
  4. pinnacle

Thanks guys cheeked rollers and ideler mounting and still no joy.
    Any more ideas?
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Could it be the pto? But that would be more under the engine.
  6. pinnacle

Yeh its a deck sound for sure lawnman. Thanks anyway
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

maybe a piece broken off from a pully. Are you getting a lot of vibration as well? First thing I would check is the belts and then the pulleys
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I understand the bearings in the spindles of your machine are pressed it. If they are the wrong clearance, or pressed in too tight, as the spindles heat up they will squeeze the bearing and give you that wining sound.
    The pressed in bearings usually have a larger clearance factor (race to ball clearance) which is usually called a "C3" and gives an extra .003 clearance.
    Try taking a hose and spraying the spindles for a minute to cool them, after you've had the noise start up. that will tell you if it's the spindle bearing.
  9. Pully bearing is going bad.
  10. pinnacle

So this could just be one bearring on the way out ? would this affect free play and movment when testing with your hands or spinning with your hands.how can I tell wich bearing set is the Issue if It only whinnes when the machine is and has been cutting for around 10 min