Whining sound fron new Lazer Z 60

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by pryker, May 13, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

OK, I admit this maybe a bad question... When I took delivery of my new Z I noticed that it made a whining sound when driving. It gets worse as there is more strain on the engine (ie.e going uphill). I have only about 15 hours on it and it still makes the sound. No changes. It sounds like a power sterring pump on a car when it is out of fluid. It is equal on both sides of the mower. My questions:

1. Is this normal operating sounds?
    2. What could I do to fix it if it is not normal?
    3. Do I need to go see the dealer.

I feel stupid taking it to the dealer if it is normal. This is the first time I have owned a piece of commercial equipment like this and really do not know what to expect.

Thanks

Phil

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you are talking about the hydro pumps (tranmission basically). it's normal, if you are overly concerned you can have a dealer look at it, but it is a very normal thing.

3. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Can some one please provide me with some guidance??

Thanks

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

pryker,

Phil here is what I would do run the machine for about 5 mins and take the cap off of the hydro tank. If the fluid looks milky you should take it to a dealer you have what we call a sucking air leak. What that means is somewhere on the feed side of the hydro system it is pulling in air.

If that is fine you will have some whine with the unit as is. I would make sure that you run the unit at full throtle. The more load you put on the hydro system the louder it will sound regaurdless. Going up hills...

By all means if you have any doughts take it to your dealer that is what they are there for!!

Thanks, Fred.

5. BradleysLawnCare

BradleysLawnCare LawnSite Member

Phil that is the normal sound if the pumps mine does it to,,,,,Exmark has some of the quietest pumps iv heard,,,My buddy has a John deere zero turn and its really loud,,,,,,,If your still not sure if it is suposted to be as loud as it is ,,,just stop where you see a commerical crew using their mowers and listen to see how loud theirs is,,,,,but i think you'll see that yours is fine

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hydro whin is normal. Do what Fred suggested and if that is ok, its probably the normal sound of a hydro.

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

It's normal........

8. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I hecked the fluid and it is clear. I think it is normal but will take the advice of stopping near a lawn crew to hear theirs.

This site rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

9. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with a new 2004 Lazer HP.... took it to the dealer 2 times..... 2nd time found out it is the > brake band < and they are replacing it this week. The sound is mistaken as a hydro pump noise. The tech showed me how to make the noise stop by raising the parking brake lever just a bit while moving " slowly ". That only cures it for a few minutes.